• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

b. smithi molt question

Adelerella

3 Year Member
So I have a small/medium-sized b. smithi since January. I think the end of March was probably the last confirmed kill/ meal. About 3 weeks ago it made a nice burrow, but with a great window view. It hasn't come out to my knowledge since then. I keep water in its dish, still I has a nice bald spot on it's abdomen. I assume it's going to molt.... Well, I thought it would have molted by now, but it seems content to sit in its burrow and looks otherwise fine. Does anyone know the average and max/min times for the molt process? It is starting to feel very long.

Adelerella

3 Year Member
Don't say that B klaasi is on my want list & I want more than a small tube with substrate visible. :eek:

Seriously you guys are supposed to say something like increase/ decrease humidity or cover the window with black paper because it's shy about getting naked or do a molting dance to appease the tarantula god. Something, but no, nothing... just wait and buy more. Bah, I guess I'll just have to pray that skin away...

Nunua

3 Year Member
Seriously you guys are supposed to say something like increase/ decrease humidity or cover the window with black paper because it's shy about getting naked or do a molting dance to appease the tarantula god. Something, but no, nothing... just wait and buy more. Bah, I guess I'll just have to pray that skin away...
Don't increase the humidity as external humidity does nothing, but you can try the other methods you mentioned :D You can also try threatening and begging! But waiting and getting more will definitely work ;)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
chill-out.png

timc

3 Year Member
Don't say that B klaasi is on my want list & I want more than a small tube with substrate visible. :eek:
My B. Klassi is always out, it’s only an inch but never hides. Get one. Get two. Get seven.

As for the OP, you said the best thing you can do; pray. It’s about as likely to work as anything else lol

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Don't increase the humidity as external humidity does nothing, but you can try the other methods you mentioned :D You can also try threatening and begging! But waiting and getting more will definitely work ;)

Would you mind please providing references for this information? I have found that increasing temps and humidity triggers a molt IF the tarantula is in premolt. This is personal experience and I know others that have done the same. I know that increasing humidity won't help if the tarantula is not in premolt. This is usually something done near or around the time of premolt. I have also speculated somewhat on this:

#1 Increasing the humidity helps the tarantula remove its old exoskeleton. In dryer conditions the liquid thats trapped between the old exoskeleton and the new exoskeleton could potentially dry out and leave the tarantula stuck in its molt.

#2 Increasing the humidity is a simulation of its natural environment of some sort and accompanied with higher temps will trigger a molt.

I'm not sure if it's one or both. Perhaps you're right and it's none at all and the tarantula molts when it's ready. Either way, I have had less issues with tarantulas getting "stuck" in a molt when adding humidity to their environment prior to their molting. It does make sense that the tarantula would molt during increased humidity in its environment so that it can remove it's exoskeleton much easier. Some species are used to a humid environment during their molting process and some (desert species) probably have none at all. Have you ever noticed how some species that molt appear to have more "liquid" in their exoskeleton than other species? I have noticed this in quite a few molts. Brachypelma are a perfect example. Perhaps they need that extra fluid BECAUSE of their natural environment and have no access to humidity for a better molt. I feel environmental factors for each species plays a huge role in the molting process. Don't mind me, I'm just speculating, lol. Other than personal experience, I haven't really researched this outside of researching breeding seasons and how/when to power feed or simulate their environment for a molt/sac, etc. I would really love your input on this, though. :)

Nunua

3 Year Member
Would you mind please providing references for this information?
(...)
Other than personal experience, I haven't really researched this outside of researching breeding seasons and how/when to power feed or simulate their environment for a molt/sac, etc. I would really love your input on this, though. :)

I would if I had anything. I admit I chose my words very poorly there - Also, you are far more experienced with tarantulas than I am. :)
However, I did enjoy reading through your message!
It could possible that higher external moisture significantly slows down evaporation of the liquid trapped between the exoskeletons. This could work with arid species as well if they do molt in their deep burrows where the humidity is higher than on ground level.

My poorly chosen words were more of a remain from all those threads where new people are worried for not being able to constantly keep the humidity in RH% 65-75. Therefore I do apologize my words since they are most likely quite misleading in the context of this thread.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I would if I had anything. I admit I chose my words very poorly there - Also, you are far more experienced with tarantulas than I am. :)
However, I did enjoy reading through your message!
It could possible that higher external moisture significantly slows down evaporation of the liquid trapped between the exoskeletons. This could work with arid species as well if they do molt in their deep burrows where the humidity is higher than on ground level.

My poorly chosen words were more of a remain from all those threads where new people are worried for not being able to constantly keep the humidity in RH% 65-75. Therefore I do apologize my words since they are most likely quite misleading in the context of this thread.

Oh don't apologize! I was actually trying to educate myself by asking you a question, lol. :) I feel excess humidity is only necessary during heavy premolt/molt in any species, whether they be desert climate species or sub tropical/tropical species to help in the removal of the old exoskeleton (however, this is not a fact because I know several tarantulas molt just fine without excess humidity- this is only my "opinion" based on my very own personal experiences in these situations). I know that excess humidity brings a high risk of mold/stagnant air if proper ventilation isn't applied. I have no issue with this because I make sure all of my tarantula enclosures are well ventilated. I suppose the only way to learn is to ask questions and research. No question is a dumb question because I feel that we, as individuals, have our own thought process and it varies from individual. We learn at our own pace and in our own way. :)

Adelerella

3 Year Member
The molting dance seems to helping. At least its abdomens is nicely black today so i hope the molt happens soon. I wanted to get a photo to post but since I saw it this morning it has switched positions and is not at a good angle.

Question. When it molts, I guess the skin will be in the burrow. I wanted to look and see if I can sex it. Can I dig it out afterwards, or is it best to just wait a week until things are call stabilized.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The molting dance seems to helping. At least its abdomens is nicely black today so i hope the molt happens soon. I wanted to get a photo to post but since I saw it this morning it has switched positions and is not at a good angle.

Question. When it molts, I guess the skin will be in the burrow. I wanted to look and see if I can sex it. Can I dig it out afterwards, or is it best to just wait a week until things are call stabilized.
I would wait until she/he is doing some housecleaning...;)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

It's best to wait until their new exoskeleton hardens up a bit. When you remove the old exoskeleton it will be dry. You can soak it in warm water/dish liquid for about an hour and then remove it so you can sex it that way. :)

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
So I have a small/medium-sized b. smithi since January. I think the end of March was probably the last confirmed kill/ meal. About 3 weeks ago it made a nice burrow, but with a great window view. It hasn't come out to my knowledge since then. I keep water in its dish, still I has a nice bald spot on it's abdomen. I assume it's going to molt.... Well, I thought it would have molted by now, but it seems content to sit in its burrow and looks otherwise fine. Does anyone know the average and max/min times for the molt process? It is starting to feel very long.

I think I have the answer to this.

My G. pulchra, (which has been in it's burrow sealed for what seems like forever) and your B. smithi have been on the phone with each other and neither will hang up.