• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B.emili new users

Natou

Hello to everyone....i and my husband recently bought a b.emili..so lets get start cause i have s lot question...first of all ..the heat is at 20-22 ° ..the humidity range from 65-75% (i try keep it at 70) i saw someone said 60-70 other 70-80 so i prefer something in the middle.. are good?

my tarantula dig a hole and stay under the day...the man from the store say that maybe its female thats why...and that its hard to distinguish the sex from so small age..is that true? I saw in many videos from other countries that when tarantulas arrive they know the sex.

And finally ..my husband hear a strange sound from her at night...like a wristle..is that ok?

Today early in the morning with no much light in the room i finally see her drinking water from waterballs...i was so glad... cant wait handle this beautiful lady/man whatever it is... But how?its already underneath the soil ..you know when we can handle a tarantula like this?

And i forgot about the food ..we fed it 1 mealworm at 5 days ....its good?i feel its not enough...Its a sling i know...if it called like this...i think its 5 cm ..

E.g the terrarium from inside has stains from water...i use sera aquatan ...maybe its from that?

And last thing.. my tarantula molten...and it was beautiful and strange...haha...thano you to anyone that will read that and answer in advance ...

Attachments

• received_491388425343056.jpeg
    received_491388425343056.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 29

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, I’m going to try to answer them all, though I will ask for clarification on one in particular.

1. don’t worry about humidity, it is irrelevant to tarantula keeping, not to mention unnecessary stress. The temperatures will be fine.

2. How much a tarantula burrows does not determine a tarantulas sex, most tarantulas will burrow at some point even some arboreals. Mature males will wander around their enclosures as their sole purpose after maturing is breeding and passing on. They are actually impossible to sex as slings unless you use a really good microscope. Once most tarantulas hit 2” you will be able to sex them via molt. Unless stated otherwise, breeders will not guarantee a tarantula is a male or female unless they confirmed it themselves via molt, on occasion a breeder may list a specimen as a suspect male/female.

3. I don’t understand what sound you are referring to. Some tarantulas will gnaw on things in their enclosures and sometimes the enclosure itself.

4. if it’s burrowed, leave it be. Tarantulas do not like to be handled, as there is no benefit for them, they are not like snakes or hamsters that grow accustomed to handling, they are more for admiring from afar.

5. At that size (you have a juvenile, not a sling anymore, assuming it is 5 cm) one mealworm once a week will suffice.

6. not sure what the two words that begin with “S” and “A” are, so I can’t answer that one with confidence. It could be your camera, but the substrate looks kind of wet. Assuming you were trying to say B. emilia, they prefer dry substrate with a full water dish.

watching tarantulas molt never gets old.

might I ask what that substrate is?

lastly, welcome to the forum and the hobby.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
6. not sure what the two words that begin with “S” and “A” are, so I can’t answer that one with confidence. It could be your camera, but the substrate looks kind of wet. Assuming you were trying to say B. emilia, they prefer dry substrate with a full water dish.
Sera Aquatan is a water conditioner

I would recommend the use of Reverse Osmosis or Distilled water, if possible, rather than conditioned, potentially hard water

Natou

Sera Aquatan is a water conditioner

I would recommend the use of Reverse Osmosis or Distilled water, if possible, rather than conditioned, potentially hard water
Its this at photo ..and say its "take off" the chlorine from the faucet's water.hello thanks for the answer..so you say its better use distilled water as it..without this sera aquatan..right?

Attachments

• IMG_20210504_144040.jpg
    IMG_20210504_144040.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 6

Natou

Ok, I’m going to try to answer them all, though I will ask for clarification on one in particular.

1. don’t worry about humidity, it is irrelevant to tarantula keeping, not to mention unnecessary stress. The temperatures will be fine.

2. How much a tarantula burrows does not determine a tarantulas sex, most tarantulas will burrow at some point even some arboreals. Mature males will wander around their enclosures as their sole purpose after maturing is breeding and passing on. They are actually impossible to sex as slings unless you use a really good microscope. Once most tarantulas hit 2” you will be able to sex them via molt. Unless stated otherwise, breeders will not guarantee a tarantula is a male or female unless they confirmed it themselves via molt, on occasion a breeder may list a specimen as a suspect male/female.

3. I don’t understand what sound you are referring to. Some tarantulas will gnaw on things in their enclosures and sometimes the enclosure itself.

4. if it’s burrowed, leave it be. Tarantulas do not like to be handled, as there is no benefit for them, they are not like snakes or hamsters that grow accustomed to handling, they are more for admiring from afar.

5. At that size (you have a juvenile, not a sling anymore, assuming it is 5 cm) one mealworm once a week will suffice.

watching tarantulas molt never gets old.

might I ask what that substrate is?

lastly, welcome to the forum and the hobby.
Thanks for all man....sometimes the night my husband hear the tarantula do like a cricket...haha..i dont know why..but its quite strange...
so..u think waterballs aren't necessary..instead of it use only water?

that substrate its a mix of these two

Attachments

• IMG_20210504_144116.jpg
    IMG_20210504_144116.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 11

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for all man....sometimes the night my husband hear the tarantula do like a cricket...haha..i dont know why..but its quite strange...
so..u think waterballs aren't necessary..instead of it use only water?

that substrate its a mix of these two
I’m guessing th water balls you mentioned are those gel balls (I did a quick search)? If so no they are not necessary, just plain water with no additives is just fine. Tarantulas will not drown, they float.

Natou

I’m guessing th water balls you mentioned are those gel balls (I did a quick search)? If so no they are not necessary, just plain water with no additives is just fine. Tarantulas will not drown, they float.
Yeah .thats it ..im not afraid but you know when you ask the seller and say yeah you need these... Thank you

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah .thats it ..im not afraid but you know when you ask the seller and say yeah you need these... Thank you
Water dish, no water gel

Water gel is for crickets and roaches so they don't drown in water dishes

Arachtastic

If you talk to any hobbyist or enthusiast, pet stores know almost to absolutely nothing about 90% of the animals they sell. Don't listen to some random making 9$ an hour to sell you pets. Do your research and talk to people who have been keeping tarantulas (or whatever pet your keeping) for years en masse. They will know far more than any pet store worker. As for the gel balls I agree completely. No gel balls, water dish and over flow once a week just slightly of you're worried about humidity. As for temperature (65-75) I'd say prolly good. If you're comfortable so are they. I'd switch from meal worms to crickets or roaches. Too many super worms or meal worms can cause over calcification in their joints which will lead to complications and possible limb loss during molt. Use meal worms as a once in a while treat kinda deal. Don't make the mistake of accepting the word of some glorified sales attendant who may or may not even have a high school diploma. Take the word of people who are heavily engrossed in the topic in question. (The people giving you advice {myself not included} have at least 3 years in breeding and history on this app alone. They know what they are talking about.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Its this at photo ..and say its "take off" the chlorine from the faucet's water.hello thanks for the answer..so you say its better use distilled water as it..without this sera aquatan..right?
Distilled water is not the best, it has no nutritions what so ever…. I use normal water and let it sit for a day before I use it.

Latest posts