• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B.baumgarteni eating habit question

NCSpyderlover79

Just wondering if any other baumgarteni owners have their T kick hairs and its food and runs from it only to eat it later? Just mine? Okay lol. S/he is about 1.5"

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, Because us humans need light to see, we often do not realize that many of our Ts usually hunt at night :)
I wouldn't be surprise if your T is bothered or scared by all the movement and vibrations when you are feeding her (moving and opening the enclosure....). Once everything settles down she can focus more on her prey and eating. This will likely change as she is getting bigger and used to her environment.
This is just my take on it. When feeding my Ts, I do not get that many "takedowns" and just leave the crickets or dubias in the enclosures then comes back a few hours later after shutting off all the lights (I used led red lights to see) and suddenly everyone is out in the open and feeding :D
I hope this helps.
Cheers.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes...mine is an extreme hair kicker. Usually kicks hair while attacking its prey and while it consumes it as well. Never seen it ever run from food though...maybe you have it on guard before feeding. I usually take the top off the enclosure and wait a couple minutes before dropping in the prey.
20200423_161704.jpg
20200329_125215.jpg

Latest posts