• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia sp Peru purple

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
Here is my jounal of my Avicularia sp Peru purple.Its my first arboreal and my tiniest T atm.Its with me since 08.04.2020 .I keep it with slightly moist substrate and drop some water on the web every other day to have a drink.Its being fed every 4 days and is a good hunter.
Here is a pic with it munching on a cricket in its lil enclosure.
20200410_131234.jpg

I wanted to rehouse it in sth bigger but seems bigger vials are hard to obtain atm.Tried chemist and my vets with no luck.
Anyway i have a food jar that is not as clear but will have to do(hope not too oversized)
Here is a pic of the new house and the ventilation in place next to the current one.Lid has loads if holes drilled in it too.
1587364748223-1390943189.jpg

Will post update and more pics once I setup it.
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
The tyni one is settling well in the new house.Did some webbing and had few meals too.Unfortunately it sits right on top and keeps attaching the web to the lid.I only open to feed as rip the web apart and can add water to web and top up the water dish though the vent holes.It occasionally makes a spin on the rim of the tub but is been out on the outside only once luckily.
I have not seen it go down yet and think it waits for the crickets to go up to catch them and thats why put few drops of water up on the web or decor to have a drink every few days.Keep part the substrate a little moist as is only tyni sling and the enclosure is vented very well.Today I noticed that it had made like a web tunnel under one of the leaves and was sat in it.So cute.Its my first arboreal and the smallest of my slings so no idea how it moults or how to tell if is in premolt because is not as fat as my terestrial species. Do they eat right up the moult or ???I wander as if it makes the moult mat near the lid edge where it sits i will rip it apart if I open the enclosure to put feeder in.
I have some 32oz deli cups to make enclosure ala Tom Moran but it looks well small to go in yet and also keeps leaving the boluses up in the webbing so wont be very convinient to pick them out going from the bottom up.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
We had a successful moult today.
Glad it went ok.Will take few pics later when put some water on the web and pull the moult out.
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
A little sad update today.
After eating 9 days ago the little one has refused its last meal 4 days ago and has been very unresponsive last 2 .I thought at first that is premoult behaviour but have bad feeling and not feeling optimistic atm as its completely stationary and not reacting to any disturbance (For those that wander Im letting it be and not pocking it all the time but usually picking up the enclosure will provoke some sort of reaction)
Nothing of the husbandry and the enclosure has been changed and was eating and moving fine untill past few days.Whatever is going on hope the little one will be able to moutl out of it.It has nice big abdomen and it has been 35 ish days since it moulted last so crossing fingers for it to pull through.Its not currently curling its legs too bit it seems in a bad way.
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
It had made sort of hammock 4 days ago but a bit doggy one and was hanging in it really weird with legs trough it and abdomen hanging.It was flapping with its legs like it wanted to move but was not able to 2 days ago.Since then it has been pretty still.It is half the way down behind the cork bark.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Its about 3-4 cm sling atm.They moult pretty quick in my experience.Last time it was done pretty much straight away after it webbed.Thats why Im not getting good feeling atm.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Its about 3-4 cm sling atm.They moult pretty quick in my experience.Last time it was done pretty much straight away after it webbed.Thats why Im not getting good feeling atm.
Have you tried dribbling some water on its webbing or to where it is? Whatever is wrong is not your fault and it may simply just be having issues going into the moult... Things happen and we just don't know why sometimes :( let's hope your little one manages to moult soon and will be ok :)

Konstantin

3 Year Member
I did manage to put a drop yesterday right under it near(under) its mouth parts and will try after few days again if needed if things don't change.I know its not my fault but feeling bummed anyway as not much else I can do apart keep it comfortable and undisturbed as I can and hope for the best.
Thank you for your kind words.
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
Its not going well.I found the little one hanging of its web by only one leg this morning motion less but not curled.Had to intervene.I scooped it gently and put it on a paper towel bed( so it is on a stable surface)in the top of the enclosure above the decorations on its back and give it drop of water on its mouth parts.Not a twitch while doing so unfortunately.Its probably exhausted the poor little thing. Will give it water every other day and see how it will go.
It really heartbreaking to see it like that.
20200623_083112.jpg

Thanks for reading
Regards Konstantin

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You are doing everything you can for it... Its very sad to watch them struggle like that - unfortunately not all slings survive some of them are just not strong enough - fingers crossed your little one will pull through

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
Final update.
Unfortunately the little one didn't make it.It did not curl but it stiff at this point Im sure its gone.
Im absolutely gutted was very lively and interesting to observe little fella.While can't be 100% sure what went wrong my best assumption is that it failed to moult having in mind it made a web hammock before it went down hill.
Regards Konstantin