• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia metallica morph-type?

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

I have heard that the Avicularia metallica is now classed as a morph-type of the Avicularia avicularia. I wondered what this means? I.e. are they now the same species? I don't plan to breed any but just out of curiosity, e.g, could you/should you breed them together?

Anyone who has these and could explain the differences please do! I currently just have an Avic avic.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi,

I have heard that the Avicularia metallica is now classed as a morph-type of the Avicularia avicularia. I wondered what this means? I.e. are they now the same species? I don't plan to breed any but just out of curiosity, e.g, could you/should you breed them together?

Anyone who has these and could explain the differences please do! I currently just have an Avic avic.
All avics are morph-type as essentially they are all avic avics but different varients from different localities different sub types-
I've found that it's an American thing to refer to them as morph types rather than here in the UK we just refer to them as individual species
For example Avicularia metallica is its own species but I believe its known as morph type 6? (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong) @Casey K. Will hopefully clarify that for me :)
I just prefer to keep them labeled as what avic they are rather than what morph type
It only really matters if you are looking to breed :)
They should not be bred together under any circumstances if they are different,. Sp of avic... The genus as a whole is muddy enough with clarification without people cross breeding - I also doubt it would be a success of someone tried

Gizalba

3 Year Member
All avics are morph-type as essentially they are all avic avics but different varients from different localities different sub types-
I've found that it's an American thing to refer to them as morph types rather than here in the UK we just refer to them as individual species
For example Avicularia metallica is its own species but I believe its known as morph type 6? (anyone please correct me if I'm wrong) @Casey K. Will hopefully clarify that for me :)
I just prefer to keep them labeled as what avic they are rather than what morph type
It only really matters if you are looking to breed :)
They should not be bred together under any circumstances if they are different,. Sp of avic... The genus as a whole is muddy enough with clarification without people cross breeding - I also doubt it would be a success of someone tried

Thanks for that info! I find all the different types so interesting. I found this 2017 article on the Avicularia revision, I love looking at the pictures however I suspect even if I read all 185 pages I'd still be confused :p Oh, the file is too large, will try to find a link >

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for that info! I find all the different types so interesting. I found this 2017 article on the Avicularia revision, I love looking at the pictures however I suspect even if I read all 185 pages I'd still be confused :p Oh, the file is too large, will try to find a link >
There are so many and so much to learn - that article is very good reading, I do try to keep as up to date as possible with all the revisions as they never seem to stop :) it's good though to clarify as avics in general cause much confusion amongst hobbyists..
All I can advise is that you get more to add to your collection ;)