• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia enclosure upgrade.

Grandsouls

Previously kept in tall cricket tub. However I was not content with the amount of ventilation as well really wanted to keep some live plants in there as I have surplus amount of pothos plants. And today I noticed tiny bit of white growing on soil by the stick.

It is a old dog biscuit container, I put a lot of large vent holes on top, as well many vent holes on each side of the enclosure, not to large of holes of course. Also many drainage holes under so that soil can breath and dry out appropriately. Soil, I microwaved and nuked to kill any possible bacteria in same as the sticks, then cooled in freezer ( Use to do this with soil for cactus seeds as they need extremely high humidity soil and environment to grow properly so did this in order to sterilize. )

I hope she adjust okay, I only had her for few months now but was not content with her previous home. She will also be able to grow in this cage for much longer time.

Anyway here it is.

Attachments

• thumbnail_image4 (1).jpg
    thumbnail_image4 (1).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 42
  • thumbnail_image5.jpg
    thumbnail_image5.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 43
  • thumbnail_image6.jpg
    thumbnail_image6.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 46
  • thumbnail_image7.jpg
    thumbnail_image7.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 45

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd like to see how this works out, if it's not too humid for an Avic

A diagonal piece of cork bark would probably help the T feel more secure and establish a high hide.

Grandsouls

I'd like to see how this works out, if it's not too humid for an Avic

A diagonal piece of cork bark would probably help the T feel more secure and establish a high hide.

Just matter of finding cork bark. I will eventually probably be ordering some online.
I Don't believe it will be too humid, as the plants are very low care/low water requirements and given I put ton of holes on the bottom as well there should be no sitting moisture the soil will be able to breath very well. Iv got two panels on each side with large vent holes, and a ton on the top lid. The holes are relatively large, offering a large amount of air flow. I think all should be good :)

Grandsouls

So I still have not been able to get my dear to eat.
Unfortunately only thing available that I can find right now, is super worms, I have a few small/ young ones it is very shy towards them though. Slightly concerning as it ate 1 large crickets first day I got it and a another large cricket day after, with a vicious feeding response., perhaps its still full ( I think? . . . 3 weeks ago she ate them ) I do have hundreds baby crickets about week and half old that I bred, however they are much to small to be fed still.
Any advice? It is active moving around a lot shooting webs all over the place. Perhaps I should just leave her alone for little longer maybe she is getting use to the new home. Or perhaps she just has hatred towards worms, not sure.. Hopefully my crickets grow fast for me or able to get my hands on some near future. I keep them fed on orange carrot and mixed greens.

Stat

3 Year Member
Wouldn't panic I got a avic hariana a week ago now has not eaten on two offerings. But it has a healthy abdomen is webbing and I make sure it has water available they will eat when they are ready. And as you have said it could be in pre-molt my white knee is nearly 40days into a pre-molt now.
Your setup looks good so just make sure there is always water available and I am sure it will either molt or eat when it is ready. :cool:

Grandsouls

Wouldn't panic I got a avic hariana a week ago now has not eaten on two offerings. But it has a healthy abdomen is webbing and I make sure it has water available they will eat when they are ready. And as you have said it could be in pre-molt my white knee is nearly 40days into a pre-molt now.
Your setup looks good so just make sure there is always water available and I am sure it will either molt or eat when it is ready. :cool:
sounds good : ) .
Yes always water available of course! : ) I have to clean web off it every few days though, it constantly webs it for some reason

Grandsouls

Yeah pain my red rump constantly flips his and my king baboon just burys his lol while my obt I swear baths in his nightly.

Lol, such weird little creatures they can be.
I saw my G Porteri drinking for the first time in the 10+ Years I have owned her for a good 15 minutes. She was also sprawled on her floor the other day she looked like she was stepped on, as soon as I touched the lid she bolted over into the corner, I was quite concerned lol

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just wait until you get something she likes. They can be without food for a long time. Much longer than 3 weeks... hopefully you can get something she likes or you have to wait for your crickets to grow. I found that micro crickets grow faster if they have water available. I would use a small bowl with a paper towel soaked in water.

Grandsouls

Just wait until you get something she likes. They can be without food for a long time. Much longer than 3 weeks... hopefully you can get something she likes or you have to wait for your crickets to grow. I found that micro crickets grow faster if they have water available. I would use a small bowl with a paper towel soaked in water.
Paper towl thats a good idea : ) thanks!

Grandsouls

Some exciting news! Last night she was webbing the ground
This afternoon she molted!
I was not home when she molted and he booty was much to shriveled and dried up to sex, I tried soaking it first but trying to open it was a no go. Next time!
She grew soo much! Her legs are soooo blue now!
Will give photos once she comes up. Tried getting pic of her through the container but my phone refused to focus.

Grandsouls

Question for any of you out there.
She has been quite un active and sticking out near bottom of the cage still reactive if moved, but not moving a lot.
This is normal for avic after molting yes?