• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic housing question - post molt

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Granted that's is nearly impossible to replicate a natural environment in a small glass box, what in your experience is the optimal Avic housing scenario if you have a few animals/enclosures that you'd like to display rather than cloister away in a cabinet or special room?

My T enclosures are in one part of my house, not a dedicated room, and it's not economical to heat the entire house. A space heater is a possibility but the area is not enclosed and will likely prove inefficient.

I understand airflow is important for an arboreal species and constant temperature in nature is a myth.

I live in SoCal where the lows do get down into the mid-40s F, albeit not often or consistently, and average ambient temps indoors are easily in the low-to-mid 60s in the winter. Summers are warm as you can imagine, I only have air-conditioning in the bedroom, not where the Ts are.

My final housing of choice is the Exo Terra Nano (tall) or similar/larger as the species requires, space-wise. For juveniles I was planning on 4x4x8 amac boxes with holes drilled on all sides and top. Fewer on the top. Similar to this, maybe with even more holes on 2 sides.

IMG_20200322_180346.jpg

All input is appreciated!

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ok for small spiderlings... but they will outgrow that fast.

Square gallon jugs inbound from Amazon as I type this

Regarding the enclosure in the pic (4x4x8) at what size would you move a sling INTO this size enclosure? How small is too small?

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It depends on the size of the sling and what you have to hand tbh.

All 6 of these have Avics in (Caribena Versicolors and Laeta in similar) and they’re all doing fine.

Even thou the Avic Braunshausensi is in a glass enclosure it will outgrow that and most of them will eventually find themselves in a 20x20x30 or something very close to that size.

It’s going to be a good day to as while pulling these out I found that the Minatrix Jurensis and a C versicolour have all moulted :)

766295A7-4A98-47EB-A019-19665AD5DE75.jpeg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My A. avicularia just molted Friday night and is in it's webbing at the top, it's exo is beneath it.

IMG_20200404_110634.jpg

I would like to open the enclosure, and retrieve the exo, but that will surely disturb the T and destroy some of the webbing.

Also, it seems it may be time to rehouse after this last molt, the T is somewhat larger and it has literally webbed itself into a corner.

I guess my question, is 24 hours after a molt too soon to open and how soon should I be planning the rehouse? I have square gallon jugs on hand as well as an Exo Terra Nano Tall.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
My A. avicularia just molted Friday night and is in it's webbing at the top, it's exo is beneath it.

View attachment 44568

I would like to open the enclosure, and retrieve the exo, but that will surely disturb the T and destroy some of the webbing.

Also, it seems it may be time to rehouse after this last molt, the T is somewhat larger and it has literally webbed itself into a corner.

I guess my question, is 24 hours after a molt too soon to open and how soon should I be planning the rehouse? I have square gallon jugs on hand as well as an Exo Terra Nano Tall.
Hi
24h is too soon.
Let it strech to maximise growth and harden up first for a week or two

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi
24h is too soon.
Let it strech to maximise growth and harden up first for a week or two

It barely moves about since molting. I wonder if the enclosure, and it's webbing, are too small of an area for it. Should I be worried about it having space or nah?

Konstantin

3 Year Member
It barely moves about since molting. I wonder if the enclosure, and it's webbing, are too small of an area for it. Should I be worried about it having space or nah?
Nah.
They are used to live in their burrows and web tunnels .
If it needs space they are more than capable to tare the webbing and make more room.Just be patient and once it had few meals and seems more active go on and rehouse it.
Regards Konstantin