• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

any guitar players here?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Last year during lockdown I started learning the guitar and it has been going smoothly in case anyone is curious. I started with an Ibanez 12 string and now have a travel size 6 string Tanara (a cheap off brand that looks like a Gibson), which sounds decent compared to some name brand guitars of equal or greater size.

I am eventually going to add a strat, nylon string, a bass, and a bajo sexto or quinto.

what type of guitar, tuner, pick, and strings do you prefer? What is your preferred genre to play?

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've played bass for years, mostly gravitating towards 6 string bass. I mess about with electric guitars as well but I certainly wouldn't consider myself a guitar player. I mostly play metal and rock but also quite partial to a bit of funk and whatever crappy tunes I make up myself.

My 2 main basses are the Ibanez BTB 1606-NTF (bottom) and Modulus Q6 fretless semi-hollow body (top).

The guitar I tend to play the most is this Vintage V100 Reissue

For strings I always use Elixir for both bass and guitar, Nanoweb medium gauge for bass and Optiweb light gauge for guitar. They are pretty expensive but stay bright for ages.

I discovered Jim Dunlop Petrucci Jazz III picks about 5 years ago and that is all I have used since. Really good for tremelo picking

rapidfire

Been playing for 20 years! Metal/shred

Attachments

• 5190AC24-DF54-4DBD-A97A-CD0350414F7E.jpeg
    5190AC24-DF54-4DBD-A97A-CD0350414F7E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 18

prince charmless

I currently have 3 functioning guitars, an epi les paul with upgraded pickups (Seymour Duncan SH-1s) and tone caps, a MIM strat (also with Duncans) and a pawn shop special Yamaha acoustic that plays and sounds surprisingly well. My amps are a JCM 2000 DSL 100 (Upgraded with Mercury magnetics trannys) halfstack that is an absolute monster, and a bluesbreaker that needs to be retubed

Attachments

• gear.JPG
    gear.JPG
    6.1 MB · Views: 13

Scorp

Guitar is one of the things I can't really play. Like mabe 2 song lol. I mainly play my bag pipes, but also play drums and pretty much and brass instrument.

Bananahead

3 Year Member
Guitarist checking in! Grew up influenced by Steve Vai, Paul Gilbert, Jason Becker, EVH, etc.
Used to be super active in the Kramer guitar hobby (still have 8 very tasty Kramers, including a holoflash Sustainer).

Trying to make more time to record!

smallbike

3 Year Member
I've played since I was 13 or 14 (37 now). I have a Maton acoustic (Australia's equivalent to Gibson), and a '65 Fender Mustang. (High School Me will always be mad that I'm a lefty but play right handed, so I don't play a left handed Mustang like a certain grunge icon). I haven't messed around too much with strings on the acoustic, but with the shorter scale on the Mustang, Ernie Ball Power Slinkies are my top choice.

I play a lot of fingerstyle/folk/Americana on the acoustic but when I pick up the electric, I'm a punk rock girl.

Huntzman90

3 Year Member
Another guitar player here.. been playing since I was a boy. Play both electric and acoustic. Sold my accoustic due to tough times (1965 guild m20) so am stuck playing my 1967-69 Yamaha g-50 classical, actually a beautiful sounding guitar. Electric I play a couple of Maton Mastersounds, as @smallbike said they are Australians equivalent to the better quality USA brands such as Gibson. I have a ms2000 early model, and a ms526 custom shop model in all blackwood. Great guitars but they are no longer making electrics. Picks I like medium/medium-light and I too use Ernie ball power slinky's, great strings for the price

Sadly I have less T's than I do guitars these days due to time restrictions and the majority of my T's maturing as males. I did re-home them for breeding projects. I will rebuild my collection again someday soon. Currently have the one 2 1/3- 3 year old T. Albopilosum.

So do tarantulas prefer metal? Looks like we've got some shredders here.

Am I playing too slow or not heavy enough for my T's??? Haha

smallbike

3 Year Member
Another guitar player here.. been playing since I was a boy. Play both electric and acoustic. Sold my accoustic due to tough times (1965 guild m20) so am stuck playing my 1967-69 Yamaha g-50 classical, actually a beautiful sounding guitar. Electric I play a couple of Maton Mastersounds, as @smallbike said they are Australians equivalent to the better quality USA brands such as Gibson. I have a ms2000 early model, and a ms526 custom shop model in all blackwood. Great guitars but they are no longer making electrics. Picks I like medium/medium-light and I too use Ernie ball power slinky's, great strings for the price

Sadly I have less T's than I do guitars these days due to time restrictions and the majority of my T's maturing as males. I did re-home them for breeding projects. I will rebuild my collection again someday soon. Currently have the one 2 1/3- 3 year old T. Albopilosum.

So do tarantulas prefer metal? Looks like we've got some shredders here.

Am I playing too slow or not heavy enough for my T's??? Haha
Didn't expect to see another Maton player on here! I'm gonna go with tarantulas agreeing with my cat that guitars are an unnecessary racket ;)

Huntzman90

3 Year Member
Me neither! I was born in Perth, grew up in MN. Used to have a Cole Clark an1.. man that was a beautiful acoustic.. also aus made.

Yea I'm sure any vibration is enough to disturb my T, probably a good thing I mainly play acoustic these days..

T and guitars/amps are in separate rooms opposite sides of the house so not too much disturbance when I do plug in
Didn't expect to see another Maton player on here! I'm gonna go with tarantulas agreeing with my cat that guitars are an unnecessary racket ;)

rapidfire

Me neither! I was born in Perth, grew up in MN. Used to have a Cole Clark an1.. man that was a beautiful acoustic.. also aus made.

Yea I'm sure any vibration is enough to disturb my T, probably a good thing I mainly play acoustic these days..

T and guitars/amps are in separate rooms opposite sides of the house so not too much disturbance when I do plug in
Just received a guitar from Perth. Ormsby Guitars

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I must say I’m pleasantly surprised at the number of guitar/bass players here.

I forgot to mention the genre of music I’m focusing on as I’m learning, it is known as campirano (if you were or still are a breaking bad fan, chances are you’ve already heard an example of this type of music)

Huntzman90

3 Year Member
Thats awesome, those are some quality made aus guitars there. Never played a guitar with fan frets though, I'll have to try it out someday. I've only seen one ormsby guitar for sale in the US since I've been back, was a little out of my price range but I was considering it

Huntzman90

3 Year Member
I must say I’m pleasantly surprised at the number of guitar/bass players here.

I forgot to mention the genre of music I’m focusing on as I’m learning, it is known as campirano (if you were or still are a breaking bad fan, chances are you’ve already heard an example of this type o

Very cool, I had never heard of it although I have seen breaking bad. It's a interesting style for sure. I learned playing blues and folk but I have always been interested in other styles. Moving into open tunings as I'm big into fingerstyle guitar. Bert jansch, nick Drake and John Martyn are amongst my favorite finger style players

Do you find yourself playing your 6 string or 12 string guitar more often?

The travel size guitar you have could be a real benefit to learning guitar, they can be quite comfortable to play. I think you could use a good nylon or bajo quinto guitar though, it's like tarantulas there is always the need for more

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very cool, I had never heard of it although I have seen breaking bad. It's a interesting style for sure. I learned playing blues and folk but I have always been interested in other styles. Moving into open tunings as I'm big into fingerstyle guitar. Bert jansch, nick Drake and John Martyn are amongst my favorite finger style players

Do you find yourself playing your 6 string or 12 string guitar more often?

The travel size guitar you have could be a real benefit to learning guitar, they can be quite comfortable to play. I think you could use a good nylon or bajo quinto guitar though, it's like tarantulas there is always the need for more
The 12 string, much better for hitting those brighter tones. The chimey tone on the 12 is lovely. To me personally the 12 is more comfortable to play especially on the fretboard.