• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Already in Love

azure27

A long time ago, maybe around 10 years, I dipped my toe into this hobby and got myself a starter kit and then got a Mexican blood leg tarantula. Sadly I ordered in winter (not sure if it was a factor) and it was DOA. It knocked me and decided not to try again... Until now.

I've been lurking quite a long time here and recently just picked myself up a T. albopilosus sling, it arrived yesterday and I am already in love. I know it's not a good idea to start with slings but I adored the idea of watching them grow and rearing them from a young age. I already have some others on the way but just wanted to introduce myself in the meantime. I have already learned a great deal from a number of you and I look forward to learning more.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome back to the hobby and congratulations!

No problem to start with a sling.
Any questions for the forum family, just ask!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome :)
What a shame you've missed out on all those years in the hobby. Any decent sellers in the UK will supply a heat pad during winter and delay posting when it's exceptionally cold.

azure27

Thanks, both!

I remember it was snowy at the time and definitely don't remember a heat mat in the package, so I assume it was the cold. I felt a little guilty and also worried that the husbandry was going to be difficult after the loss, which is why I didn't immediately replace her. Hopefully I will fare better this time. I loved watching them move around last night, what amazing creatures.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the forum & back to the hobby. T. albopilosum are great T's, they are easy to care for & one of the most popular T's. The only downside of a sling is some species like your Tliltocatl albopilosum are slow growing so don't expect molts every few weeks, or even every few months.

But T albopilosum do have one big advantage. They are normally a fairly robust. That is, they can take a few of your learning lessons with ease. So don't panic about not knowing everything, your T is one that can normally cope with that.

azure27

Thanks very much and I'll certainly heed your advice.

How long before I should attempt feeding? I wanted to let them settle in for a while first. I have some mealworms but they are pretty large. I read on here somewhere that somebody froze them and put small pieces in for the T to scavenge. Is that a good idea?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How long before I should attempt feeding? I wanted to let them settle in for a while first. I have some mealworms but they are pretty large. I read on here somewhere that somebody froze them and put small pieces in for the T to scavenge. Is that a good idea?

Some T's will feed as soon as they are delivered, others take a few weeks. If it wants food, my view is, food is cheap, so make it available & let the T choose.

I have several slings & a tub of mealworms last me weeks. So what I do is I feed one day. Remove the mealworm the next & then feed again on the third day & so on.

Always cut the head off mealworms, otherwise they bury themselves & then resurface weeks later as beetles & the beetles could possibly harm your sling. The head end of a mealworm is the end with the legs, it often also has a black spot at that end too. When my mealworms start turning into beetles, I cut their heads off & offer my slings something different to eat.

I have no idea if, or when, my slings feed. But by doing the above, they have plenty of fresh food available & I check on them properly at least 3 times a week, by feeding the way I do.

I keep my mealworms, not in the fridge, but out with the T's. And I keep the mealworms food topped up. They eat cheap dry porridge. Every so often I also sieve out the dust that results from them eating the porridge & I blow into the sieve to remove the shed skins. Your T is only as good as the food you feed it & looking after your T's food is part of looking after your T's.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks very much and I'll certainly heed your advice.

I got 4 new tiny slings yesterday, fed them last night and all 4 pounced on their food.

azure27

That's excellent advice, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I cut the head off of the mealworm (but it was still wriggling) and placed it near where the T was hiding. She came out and touched it but retreated. It's fully dead and not moving now. I'll just leave it in overnight and see if she forages it later. Or should I remove it immediately if she retreated from it?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A long time ago, maybe around 10 years, I dipped my toe into this hobby and got myself a starter kit and then got a Mexican blood leg tarantula. Sadly I ordered in winter (not sure if it was a factor) and it was DOA. It knocked me and decided not to try again... Until now.

I've been lurking quite a long time here and recently just picked myself up a T. albopilosus sling, it arrived yesterday and I am already in love. I know it's not a good idea to start with slings but I adored the idea of watching them grow and rearing them from a young age. I already have some others on the way but just wanted to introduce myself in the meantime. I have already learned a great deal from a number of you and I look forward to learning more.
Hi, welcome to the forum and this wonderful addiction. As long as you have the right food size and conditions, there really isn't anything to worry about starting with slings. Plus....if you do raise them successfully you know you are ready to take on many many more ha ha

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Phil makes a great point, sourcing appropriate sized food items to feed slings is the most challenging aspect for some. As long as you have that covered you can bring in 1/8" slings - I have several at that size and they are adorable ;) :T:

@Phil I assumed reading the title of this thread the OP was already in love with you :p

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Phil makes a great point, sourcing appropriate sized food items to feed slings is the most challenging aspect for some. As long as you have that covered you can bring in 1/8" slings - I have several at that size and they are adorable ;) :T:

@Phil I assumed reading the title of this thread the OP was already in love with you :p
what's not to love huh? ;) ;):D

Latest posts