• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Advice on Seemanni Egg Sac, Please

spiritual418

So today is Day 30 from when my a. seemanni laid a sac. However, she is burrowed to the bottom of the terrarium, and I am not sure what to do.

I can give a pic if requested, but I can see her and the sac, as she's burrowed against the side. I've read multiple, multiple, multiple philosophies on waiting, getting the sac at all costs, etc.

All varying opinions.

Since I have found this forum much more educated in regard to Ts than anywhere else, think someone could help me out?

Last thing I want is hundreds of little ones in the terrarium if I can help it. I already have the incubator made, and have filled 300 deli cups with substrate...with plenty more when/if necessary.

Gratzi, in advance

spiritual418

So I have no problem getting it, but was under the assumption she may try to destroy the sac if I do.

If this is an unfounded idea, I'll go in there and get it

Here's where she is (attached)

Attachments

• IMG_20210228_121056092.jpg
    IMG_20210228_121056092.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
So I have no problem getting it, but was under the assumption she may try to destroy the sac if I do.

If this is an unfounded idea, I'll go in there and get it

Here's where she is (attached)
Perfect....go in right behind her to trap her. She will spin around. Grab the sack with the tongs and use a stick (bamboo skewer) to hold her in the same spot. Keep tension on the sack, they usually slip up and try to get a better grip of it and it ends up all yours.

spiritual418

Perfect....go in right behind her to trap her. She will spin around. Grab the sack with the tongs and use a stick (bamboo skewer) to hold her in the same spot. Keep tension on the sack, they usually slip up and try to get a better grip of it and it ends up all yours.
She's in a difficult spot, but I'm notoriously difficult, also

Thanks for the help! About to be a not very well liked human, lol. I've read about the mental pain owners go through with this part which is nothing compared to what she'll be going through...

spiritual418

Well, Arachnoclown...your advice worked perfectly She had burrowed so tightly, she wasn't able to pull a 180*.

I thought 50-2,000 was a typo, expecting 500-2,000. Haven't counted yet, but likely around 50-70...

I promised @Casey K. a few, so Casey, drop me a line or I'll message in a bit.

...and thank you to everyone who offered advice

Next time will be less stressful (on me, anyways)...

Attachments

• IMG_20210228_133615096.jpg
    IMG_20210228_133615096.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20210228_140954939.jpg
    IMG_20210228_140954939.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Don't worry about her...she doesn't feel emotions, just instincts. Give her a huge meal and she will be alright. My wife can't watch me pull a sack...she gets emotional. :)

Awww! Yeah sometimes it's heart breaking. Tarantula mommies love their babies, too! :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well, Arachnoclown...your advice worked perfectly She had burrowed so tightly, she wasn't able to pull a 180*.

I thought 50-2,000 was a typo, expecting 500-2,000. Haven't counted yet, but likely around 50-70...

I promised @Casey K. a few, so Casey, drop me a line or I'll message in a bit.

...and thank you to everyone who offered advice

Next time will be less stressful (on me, anyways)...

Yaayyy!! Congratulations on the sac! :) Let me know when they're ready to ship and I will give you my address! :) I'd you have any questions about care, etc just let me know! Nice setup on your incubator! :)

spiritual418

Yaayyy!! Congratulations on the sac! :) Let me know when they're ready to ship and I will give you my address! :) I'd you have any questions about care, etc just let me know! Nice setup on your incubator! :)
I will

There were a few versions of incubators I made, but coffee filters worked better for me than nylon.

So, perhaps one question I can't find an answer to. I am wary of bad eggs, but not too keen on what to look for. Some are a bit darker than the others, but don't want to get rid of the good ones.

Attached is a pic of them. The little black looking bits are substrate from pulling the sac, but otherwise, are these less-bright ones okay?

Attachments

• IMG_20210302_091242848.jpg
    IMG_20210302_091242848.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 14

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I will

There were a few versions of incubators I made, but coffee filters worked better for me than nylon.

So, perhaps one question I can't find an answer to. I am wary of bad eggs, but not too keen on what to look for. Some are a bit darker than the others, but don't want to get rid of the good ones.

Attached is a pic of them. The little black looking bits are substrate from pulling the sac, but otherwise, are these less-bright ones okay?

Those eggs look good. The darker they get (from yellow to light gray) means they are getting ready to molt from one stage to the other. As long as they are not "black" in color, it usually indicates that they are good eggs. Eggs that are unfertilized will remain clear/yellow in color and of course will not move on to the next stage of eggs with legs.

spiritual418

Those eggs look good. The darker they get (from yellow to light gray) means they are getting ready to molt from one stage to the other. As long as they are not "black" in color, it usually indicates that they are good eggs. Eggs that are unfertilized will remain clear/yellow in color and of course will not move on to the next stage of eggs with legs.
Ahhh...okay. It was difficult finding images on Google that were similar and went into any details

Latest posts