• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Adequate ventilation for caribena versicolor?

jacobparker

Hello, I’ve kept two c versicolors previously in these exoterra enclosures except they had steel mesh tops which was a ton of ventilation. I replaced the tops with plastic to help retain heat in these colder months and to avoid their feet getting stuck in the mesh (it happened at once with my previous t). There are 8 vents on the bottom front portion and the drilled holes on top. The sides are glass and cannot be drilled. Do you think this ventilation will be adequate? Thank you !

2E165E25-8229-48BF-80F9-BA521C15B300.jpeg
97BED9A8-860F-41A6-B9AA-1D09A198ED90.jpeg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I like more ventilation for Avics

See this

And this

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
View attachment 60706
I added quite a bit more ventilation. I had a versicolor get their leg caught in the screen before.
In reality, any spider can catch a claw in mesh screen, but arboreals seem less likely to be injured as much as terrestrials in this situation. I've never had an arboreal get stuck, but it is possible with woven mesh.

I upgraded to larger, non woven screen on my exo terras. Link in post #2 above if anyone is curious.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In 39 years I've never had a arboreal spider stuck on a screen. Terrestrial spiders I've had a couple stuck. The trick is if the spider (Terrestrial) can touch the ground while on the screen they won't get stuck. Zoo-med low profile enclosures are the answer. 4" of substrate with 4" of head room, no stuck spiders.

jacobparker

In reality, any spider can catch a claw in mesh screen, but arboreals seem less likely to be injured as much as terrestrials in this situation. I've never had an arboreal get stuck, but it is possible with woven mesh.

I upgraded to larger, non woven screen on my exo terras. Link in post #2 above if anyone is curious.
Checked it out. Nice post man

jacobparker

In 39 years I've never had a arboreal spider stuck on a screen. Terrestrial spiders I've had a couple stuck. The trick is if the spider (Terrestrial) can touch the ground while on the screen they won't get stuck. Zoo-med low profile enclosures are the answer. 4" of substrate with 4" of head room, no stuck spiders.
Thinking back on it… when my versicolor was “stuck”, he was half standing on his vertical tree bark and half on the mesh. He was molting while I believed him to be stuck. Maybe it’s possible he had not been stuck at all and simply was molting in an odd position. Or that his molt itself had snagged the mesh. thank you for your advice. i can always mount new mesh.