• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

About my B.Smithii

PereSs

3 Year Member
Hiya!

My B.Smithii is a little bit weard lately i dont know if its normal or not but never saw her doing this... so i just wanted too ask if someone else had the same thing happend, she's all cramped up on her water dish and not moving a lot...

Attachments

• 20180827_094114.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 37

Quelícero

They usually do that when they need higher humidity than what they find in the rest of the enclosure.
I would drop some water on the other side of the enclosure and see what she does.

PereSs

3 Year Member
Hey!

Well she got a new enclosure not long ago and before putting the coco fiber in it, i sprayed it too make it a little more wet because the substrate was dry and didnt want too put it dry in there, but it wasnt enough hmm... well i made it more humid for now lets see what will happen in the next few hours!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Keep the water dish full. Overflowing it is ok. To raise humidity, use a bigger waterdish and put a small bit of frog moss or green moss by it in one of the corners of the cage.

I like to pour water on the moss more then spraying the substrate directly unless it's a very moisture dependent spider.

(Brachys aren't that moisture dependent)

The amount and frequency that you keep the moss moist obviously varies depending on the species requirements.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That looks like a spider drinking to me..Quelicero is correct, its just regulating. Odd to see a dry sp. hovering over the dish like that though. I wouldnt recommend misting a Brachypelma's substrate. They generally prefer it VERY dry..are you sure its not just getting a drink? Also, its beginning premolt, its skin is darkening at the bald spot. Sometimes spiders in premolt act oddly.

PereSs

3 Year Member
Hey!

Well i sprayed a little bit water on the substrate in her enclosure yesterday and went too work and when i came back she was all fine she was wandering around her new enclosure so definitly was missing a little humidity in there not a lot but a little, i would found it really weard for her too drink like that because she stayed for a long time on her water dish... couldnt say how long exactly but sure more then an hour. And she molted like maybe 2months ago and since i know smithii's are very slow growers it would be weard she's is premolt right now.. but thanks for the reply's and info it sure can help if you are not familiar with that kind of behaviour!

PereSs

3 Year Member
I took this picture before putting her in the new enclosure!

Attachments

• 20180825_110310.jpg
    20180825_110310.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 27

Quelícero

Congratulations. You're gonna enjoy this one as well. I have a Emilia 17years old now and still doing well.

One tip, try not to manipulate the spiders, won't do any good to you or them and is a life risk for the animal.

It's just a recommendation

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
In your photo the substrate is too dry around that water dish. Spraying is a waste of time...it evaporates off the surface too fast. You need too water deep around the water dish so it takes at least a week to dry out. Congratulations on the new addition...shes a looker.

KezyGLA

3 Year Member
Looks like it may have been trying to hydrate before a moult IMO.

Do you have an update?

PereSs

3 Year Member
Hiya! Long time i haven't given an update on my smithii! Well since i rehoused her she has always hide herself in the corner like you are seeing on the picture... maybe at night she is more active but never saw her leave that corner... well we'll see what will happen maybe she is getting in premolt and is going too molt soon..
20180924_230017.jpg
20180924_230017.jpg

PereSs

3 Year Member
Hiya!

No not that much vibrations or sunlight, since the first post she/he still not changed place.. always in the corner.. and it doesnt look stressed out.. weard... wont eat either.. i noticed some of my tarantulas now dont take there food... except for my boehmei how i look at the abdomin it looks like its in premolt..

PereSs

3 Year Member
Hiya!

Look at that! So happy too see her/him came out of the corner too take a good drink of fresh water! Last time was sure a couple of weeks ago!

Attachments

• 20181010_223000.jpg
    20181010_223000.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • 20181010_224738.jpg
    20181010_224738.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

PereSs

3 Year Member
Hiya!

Well i'm amazed by the fact its all night that its being drinking out of that waterdish its almost emptied at half, and sure know its not about evaporation because mostly when i fill up the dish it can stay full for a couple of days!
20181011_123252.jpg

Latest posts