• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A seemani so fast

TheIce87

Hi, just new to this forum. So I recently purchased the A Seemani as I have never owned one. I was so unprepared for how quick they can be. I was coaxing it out so I could change the substrate and it leaped towards my missus, then bolted across the room and started running around the walls. I was in stitches at her shocked reaction to a big spider jumping at her. Ended up getting it back it no time, and I'm ready for the next encounter. Just wanted to know if anyone else has owned this species of T being so bolty.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Although many people snicker at me for admitting this, I often place the cages of my more active tarantulas in the bathtub inside of a tote which holds the cage. That should impede any escape attempts.

So far, knock on wood, I've never had an escape.

My C versicolor did attempt the great leap of faith on multiple times when younger but always landed on my towel which was in the tote.

TheIce87

My seemanni never bolted on me, probably just startled it, since it's a burrower you should rarely have to deal with the zoomies.
It is every slight movement that startles mine. Walk into the room and this girl has already ran out and jumped onto the side of the enclosure towards me haha. I presume she is just showing some love and wants to get close

TheIce87

Nice
Although many people snicker at me for admitting this, I often place the cages of my more active tarantulas in the bathtub inside of a tote which holds the cage. That should impede any escape attempts.

So far, knock on wood, I've never had an escape.

My C versicolor did attempt the great leap of faith on multiple times when younger but always landed on my towel which was in the tote.
Nice T! Yeah, definitely be rethinking my method of transfer for this girl. Think I was a little too confident, the plan was to get the Missus to hold the T while I was working on the enclosure..that plan backfired. Still pretty much a novice here, so mistakes to be made

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Nice

Nice T! Yeah, definitely be rethinking my method of transfer for this girl. Think I was a little too confident, the plan was to get the Missus to hold the T while I was working on the enclosure..that plan backfired. Still pretty much a novice here, so mistakes to be made

To prevent this sort of thing, I do all feeding, maintenance, and enclosure transfers inside of a large plastic tub. I have at least three catch cups at the ready. One on each side and one in front of me, so that whichever way they go, there is an easy to reach catch cup. I also keep a soft paint brush and some cardboard squares handy for gentle prodding or blocking as needed.

Here is a lesson that I have only recently learned: As a generality, ground dwelling and burrowing species tend to bolt down or sideways, while arboreal species tend to bolt up. Keeping these two generalities in mind can help you plan your moves and anticipate which way the tarantula is going to go, if it goes.

It helped me to watch a lot of YouTube videos to see what worked well, what mistakes people typically made, and what the spiders were likely to do. I somehow got by for years before there even was a YoTube or Tarantula forum, but I've learned a tremendous amount here and online over the last few months. There is a lot of helpful information available to new keepers now.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby! Which species is next? :T:

TheIce87

To prevent this sort of thing, I do all feeding, maintenance, and enclosure transfers inside of a large plastic tub. I have at least three catch cups at the ready. One on each side and one in front of me, so that whichever way they go, there is an easy to reach catch cup. I also keep a soft paint brush and some cardboard squares handy for gentle prodding or blocking as needed.

Here is a lesson that I have only recently learned: As a generality, ground dwelling and burrowing species tend to bolt down or sideways, while arboreal species tend to bolt up. Keeping these two generalities in mind can help you plan your moves and anticipate which way the tarantula is going to go, if it goes.

It helped me to watch a lot of YouTube videos to see what worked well, what mistakes people typically made, and what the spiders were likely to do. I somehow got by for years before there even was a YoTube or Tarantula forum, but I've learned a tremendous amount here and online over the last few months. There is a lot of helpful information available to new keepers now.

Welcome to the forum and the hobby! Which species is next? :T:
I will be taking this all into consideration, thank you ☺ And thanks for the welcome. I currently own a few others.
N. Colloratovilosum
B. Vegans
L. Parahybana x2
H. Pulchripes
P. Muticus
B. Albiceps
P. Irminia
C. Elegans
B. Hamorii
Euthlus so "San philippe"
E. Parvulus
A. Seemanii
And C. Marshalli
M. Balfouri arriving tomorrow.
Future T's? Maybe an OBT, T. Blondi/Stirmi,Euthlus so red, N. Chromatus or P. Metallica....lol.
Really need to get more aborial species, always gorgeous looking and I only have one!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I will be taking this all into consideration, thank you ☺ And thanks for the welcome. I currently own a few others.
N. Colloratovilosum
B. Vegans
L. Parahybana x2
H. Pulchripes
P. Muticus
B. Albiceps
P. Irminia
C. Elegans
B. Hamorii
Euthlus so "San philippe"
E. Parvulus
A. Seemanii
And C. Marshalli
M. Balfouri arriving tomorrow.
Future T's? Maybe an OBT, T. Blondi/Stirmi,Euthlus so red, N. Chromatus or P. Metallica....lol.
Really need to get more aborial species, always gorgeous looking and I only have one!
Great list! We share most of the same favorites.

About your want list:
  • I only have one OBT. It hides almost all of the time. I only see the tips of its feet at the front of the web lair when it is hungry.
  • I love my N. chromatus, but they are pretty skittish.
  • I don't have P. metallica, but I have two ornata and two rufilata. They are also pretty secretive compared to some of the others, but there is something mysterious and attractive about the whole genus.
  • For arboreals, I love the C. versicolor, A. purpuratus, and I have three species of Psalmopoeous that are all fantastic.
  • I recently got a big stirmi and a smaller one too. Man, there is something special about this species. Its hard to put into words, but they are just awesome. Intense predators, and something about their proportions just stands out amongst all the other species. I highly recommend them.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A. seemanni fast...
tumblr_m3yrjjOAcY1ru8gmxo1_400.gif

And You have a P. Irminia...:D
Welcome to the group Bro :beer:

TheIce87

atrichomatus...oise Tom, post: 140052, member: 27883"]Great list! We share most of the same favorites.

About your want list:
  • I only have one OBT. It hides almost all of the time. I only see the tips of its feet at the front of the web lair when it is hungry.
  • I love my N. chromatus, but they are pretty skittish.
  • I don't have P. metallica, but I have two ornata and two rufilata. They are also pretty secretive compared to some of the others, but there is something mysterious and attractive about the whole genus.
  • For arboreals, I love the C. versicolor, A. purpuratus, and I have three species of Psalmopoeous that are all fantastic.
  • I recently got a big stirmi and a smaller one too. Man, there is something special about this species. Its hard to put into words, but they are just awesome. Intense predators, and something about their proportions just stands out amongst all the other species. I highly recommend them.
[/QUOTE]
I forgot about my P.atrichomatus.
Thanks for the T ideas, its like pokemon at this stage tbh. The hobby is addictive af. Got to say, watching the Balfouri come out of the packaged container..I got tingles, gorgeous spider!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the T ideas, its like pokemon at this stage tbh. The hobby is addictive af. Got to say, watching the Balfouri come out of the packaged container..I got tingles, gorgeous spider!

I've got a little M. balfouri too. Awesome spiders, but get ready for some webbing. Holy cow do they like to web up everything in sight!

I don't have any Phormictopus species. I guess that will have to be next on my list...

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
When I do M balfouri again, it'll be a communal. They are one of the very few species that can live together without killing one another.

I notice that you don't have a Pamphobeteous species. My P sp machala is just stunning. They are a moist spider but not a swamp dweller by any means. Use a larger then normal size water dish surrounded by frog moss to keep things moist and humid.

Latest posts