• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A random Amazon purchase/enclosure experiment

Cor

Tarantula Club Member
First off, a warning: these pictures are most likely not OCD friendly. I did a little rush job/half-a**ed drill job on this thing, so the holes are neither straight, evenly spaced, or super clean looking. Also, one side has less holes than the other side. Also, one of the fake plants keeps falling down. Also, I'm lazy a nd didn't feel like taking a little extra time to get it done better. Besides, this is a test. Maybe the next one will be better.

With that out of the way, on to the goods.

I'm new to this whole hobby thing, so I spend a lot of time on various shopping venues looking for enclosures that are either purpose built, or close enough to do the job with a little work. I've got a hand full of various clear containers ready to be drilled and filled for my growing family. While browsing Amazon, I came across this:
71qi9C9s0UL._SX679_.jpg

With the little remaining elementary school imagination that I had left, I bought it with big goals. A little bit of tedious drilling later and some removal of the plastic bits and bobs, I've come up with this:
wUTJ7Vc.jpg

7c7rYBW.jpg

Problem one (aside from the bad drilling): the lower drawer is broken and the hinge is missing the little metal rod that holds one side in place. However, the drawer isn't necessary for me, and I can cut a wire hanger to the right size and fix the hinge situation.

Problem two: It's larger than I was expecting. I looked at the dimensions beforehand, but for some reason I thought it would be smaller.

Problem three: It hinges in the back. From the pictures on the website, I wasn't sure if it hinged at the very back or towards the front. I was hoping it would be towards the front. I have it in my head that this is an arboreal setup, so I was hoping to not have to shred a web every time I open the top to feed or clean. That's a bummer.

Problem four: The little lip to open the lid leaves a big hole that a fair sized spider could easily squeeze out of. I'll have to block it off with either tape or maybe gluing something in place to act as a plug.

Problem five: I don't have an appropriate tarantula to put in this size of enclosure. That can be remedied in time.

So, this is my first shot at trying out something outside of the normal containers used for enclosures. I haven't put anything in there yet. This was more of a proof of concept for myself to see if it would work or be complete garbage. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I'd like to eventually add a little more substrate and a larger water dish. I'd probably add more stuff to become attachment points for webbing. I may tinker with it a bit more and eventually add a spider. I like the idea of the drawers being used for tongs and other bits and bobs, and I like how clear the plastic is. Eventually, something will go in there and I'll see if it works out.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi,
It never hurts to try, thumbs up for the effort.
One tiny thing I would suggest as I do not see a locking mechanism for the lid, make one :)
Ts are much stronger than they get credits for and I have no doubt one could lift this lid. Please update the thread once "problem five" has been resolved ;)

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
It looks good! I always appreciate off-the-wall enclosure experiments.

(Ooooh, who lives in a pineapple in clear PVC...?)

additude

Try these couple things:

Problem one (aside from the bad drilling): the lower drawer is broken and the hinge is missing the little metal rod that holds one side in place. However, the drawer isn't necessary for me, and I can cut a wire hanger to the right size and fix the hinge situation..
ACE, Home Depot and LOWES have and sell round stock and flat stock. You can try a metal hanger. The hardware stores also have small pennant marker flags for marking underground utilities, survey markers, etc. and those pennant flags have very small metal stakes. You may have to file or grind a coat hanger.
Problem two: It's larger than I was expecting. I looked at the dimensions beforehand, but for some reason I thought it would be smaller.
OK, it is what it is.
Problem three: It hinges in the back. From the pictures on the website, I wasn't sure if it hinged at the very back or towards the front. I was hoping it would be towards the front. I have it in my head that this is an arboreal setup, so I was hoping to not have to shred a web every time I open the top to feed or clean. That's a bummer.
You may have to cut the plexiglass higher up and relocate the current hinges, then glue the lower piece in.
Problem four: The little lip to open the lid leaves a big hole that a fair sized spider could easily squeeze out of. I'll have to block it off with either tape or maybe gluing something in place to act as a plug.
Plexiglass is moldable. Use a hair drier and heat up that lip until it's pliable. then squeeze it flat between two pieces of wood.
Problem five: I don't have an appropriate tarantula to put in this size of enclosure. That can be remedied in time.
It is what it is. Go Terrestrial until you get a proper arboreal.
So, this is my first shot at trying out something outside of the normal containers used for enclosures. I haven't put anything in there yet. This was more of a proof of concept for myself to see if it would work or be complete garbage. I'm pretty happy with how it came out. I'd like to eventually add a little more substrate and a larger water dish. I'd probably add more stuff to become attachment points for webbing. I may tinker with it a bit more and eventually add a spider. I like the idea of the drawers being used for tongs and other bits and bobs, and I like how clear the plastic is. Eventually, something will go in there and I'll see if it works out.
Keep working on it and teaching yourself. It's OK to fail. You can't learn if you don't fail.

Latest posts