• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. metallica Question

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
I have a question/concern regarding my 5" unsexed A. metallica. I have read that this species does'nt make much of a web (mine has not). Lately this T spends most of its time on the substrate instead of high on its cork bark. It has been a full week since it last chose to eat and seems very lethargic. After reading about dehydration from Tom M. I decided to put it in an ICU. After an afternoon in ICU the T seemed to bounce back and become more active once again. Now today it again denyed a fat dubia and is at the bottom of its enclosure. Is this normal pre mlt behavior for a large Avic? I have several water options in various location within the enclosure available for it. All of my other avics web and molt within thier webbing.. any advice helps. Thank you!

TBrian76

3 Year Member
I have an adult female. She only webs a lot before molting. Has never been much of an eater. Only is active at night. Hope that helps.

TBrian76

3 Year Member
You are welcome. It is also possible it doesn't like dubias. I have several Ts that won't eat dubias but as soon as I put in a cricket they pounce on it. Crickets are a pain but so many of my T's ignore dubias

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Yeah, I've been offering it both dubia as well as rusty reds. I keep thinking it may be considering molting but still unsure. thanks for the advice!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I cut their heads in half with scissors so they won't bury themselves. They still kick around for a second until the T senses them. Also I chop them up for slings. I still use crickets and roaches but I think I go through more worms. Crickets are gross little evil critters...:p

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I cut their heads in half with scissors so they won't bury themselves. They still kick around for a second until the T senses them. Also I chop them up for slings. I still use crickets and roaches but I think I go through more worms. Crickets are gross little evil critters...:p
I do the the same. But i just lob their heads off with scissors.

Kds

3 Year Member
I have a question/concern regarding my 5" unsexed A. metallica. I have read that this species does'nt make much of a web (mine has not). Lately this T spends most of its time on the substrate instead of high on its cork bark. It has been a full week since it last chose to eat and seems very lethargic. After reading about dehydration from Tom M. I decided to put it in an ICU. After an afternoon in ICU the T seemed to bounce back and become more active once again. Now today it again denyed a fat dubia and is at the bottom of its enclosure. Is this normal pre mlt behavior for a large Avic? I have several water options in various location within the enclosure available for it. All of my other avics web and molt within thier webbing.. any advice helps. Thank you!

Attachments

• 08AD3907-20A7-4A6B-BE42-CA12572C4577.jpeg
    08AD3907-20A7-4A6B-BE42-CA12572C4577.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21

Kds

3 Year Member
Mine webs like crazy lives inside a Web orb and loves it in there!! Leaves a hole on the top open if it wants to come out and comes to it for feedings. One of my favorite T’s for sure! Also eats soooo gently from the tongs

AncientExotics

3 Year Member
Try misting one side of the cage once a week. Don’t flood it, but give it a nice watering. Mine doesn’t web as much as my Avic Avic but is very active at night and munches regularly on super worms.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Put a small shallow waterdish next to where it hangs out on the ground. It might not be able to find the usual water dish for whatever reason.

One of my arboreal tarantulas just pulled a stunt like that a few days ago.