• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A few Qs as Google sucks

Mean.uwu

Hi I've had this spider for almost 2 years now and I'd like to say I'm decently competent regarding her basic needs however I'm not 100% about temperature, light intensity etc. (also idk abt the names you use to refer to spiders on here and I'm trying to learn but everything is quite confusing but I think Pipsqueak was referred to as a T Vagan? But again I am unsure)

Pip is a Red Rump Tarantula, and that's all the information I have as the store was quite unhelpful. Also unsure if they're acc a female as I am unable to sex her from her previous moults. They've been eating normally and I havent noticed anything too strange.

They don't seem bothered and seems to be acting completely normal, they don't have a heat lamp/blanket that I've seen other Ts have but they seem to be doing fine?
The room they're kept in can get stuffy sometimes but I can't tell if that bothers them or is irrelevant to their well being.
Their waterdish is changed often so I doubt they'd get dehydrated but I also don't want the place to be uncomfortable for them.
I also read that they like to burrow but I am reluctant to give them deep enough dirt to do so as I want to be able to keep an eye on them. However they have seem to found away around that and began piling up mounds of dirt? Idk if they just like the height or if it's indicitive to something else.

Currently in their enclosure they have a little skull they can crawl in (as I thought it would be funny to scare my friends with) and they seem comfortable with it. Recently they filled in the eye sockets with dirt and built a mound on the inside which they hide under. Im slightly concerned as im unsure if this is normal behaviour or something more. It could just be a digging thing but I wanted to ask to see if anyone knew anything about that.
Could it be the room was too bright and they wanted something darker? Or is it just wanting to be under dirt? It concerns me as I can only slightly see them and I like to keep an eye to make sure their okay.

IMG_20210417_121412.jpg
IMG_20210417_121317.jpg
IMG_20210417_121339.jpg

(if the pics aren't clear enough I can take some more as she doesn't seem bothered by the flash muhh but again idk)

This is what they've done, I'm worried since it makes the skull unstable and it wobbles now. I don't want them to accidently squish themself or injure themself in any way.

Would it be fine for me to feed them (crickets) or should I hold off for the time being?

Thanks for taking the time to read and if you can help out, I just want the best for them and I'm willing to spend time to learn :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello and welcome!

Tlitocatl vagans, the Mexican red rump, is a hardy and easy to care for T, tolerant of a wide range of conditions and husbandry errors.

Best kept on dry or very slightly damp substrate, you can overflow the water dish every week or two, dampening the area around the dish, or a corner of the enclosure, then allow the substrate to dry before soaking again. Keep the water dish clean and full at all times, or as much as you can.

Don't be super concerned about humidity, and as far as temperature, if you are comfortable in a t-shirt, your T vagans will be comfortable too!

Regarding feeding, feed when your T is hungry, and it's better to underfeed than overfeed.

As slings and juveniles, T vagans do tend to burrow and can be shy. Don't worry, as adults they will be a bit more of a display animal, however some may remain skittish.

You keep using they and their but I am assuming you are speaking in gender-neutral terms. But let me ask just to be certain, is there more than one tarantula in the enclosure?

Last edited:

Mean.uwu

Hello and welcome!

Tlitocatl vagans, the Mexican red rump, is a hardy and easy to care for T, tolerant of a wide range of conditions and husbandry errors.

Best kept on dry or very slightly damp substrate, you can overflow the water dish every week or two, dampening the area around the dish, or a corner of the enclosure, then allow the substrate to dry before soaking again. Keep the water dish clean and full at all times, or as much as you can.

Don't be super concerned about humidity, and as far as temperature, if you are comfortable in a t-shirt, your T vagans will be comfortable too!

Regarding feeding, feed when your T is hungry, and it's better to underfeed than overfeed.

As slings and juveniles, T vagans do tend to burrow and can be shy. Don't worry, as adults they will be a bit more of a display animal, however some may remain skittish.

You keep using they and their but I am assuming you are speaking in gender-neutral terms. But let me ask just to be certain, is there more than one tarantula in the enclosure?

Thanks for the info and yep, just the one. We were told Pip is female but I wasn't able to sex them myself.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Make like a teenager at spring break...
Take the top off for pics

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks like T vagans to me, but I'm not as experienced here are with the nuances of the Brachypelma/Tlitocatl sub species.

Now, to be fair, I have both T vagans and T epicureanum, mexican red rump and yucatan red rump. However, it's very possible (if not likely) that these 2 species have been cross bred unintentionally in the hobby over the years due to them looking so darn similar.

My vagans has more orange-colored setae while my epi's more rust-collored, plus the setae on her legs is bushier and a black base and charcoal fluff - and she's in premolt rn. I have pics here of both.

Latest posts