• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A favor to ask (about biting)

Rosawrath

So my cousin ask me about spiders because her son Levi like and wants a spider but she hates spiders and is a drama queen and I don't want to be blame for by her or Levi getting bit so please go into detail about a tarantula bites not usually being life threatening but can be painful you would save me from unwanted stress please and thank you

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So my cousin ask me about spiders because her son Levi like and wants a spider but she hates spiders and is a drama queen and I don't want to be blame for by her or Levi getting bit so please go into detail about a tarantula bites not usually being life threatening but can be painful you would save me from unwanted stress please and thank you
Best thing I can really recommend is reading the bite reports here and on the other forum, as many of us have never been bitten before.

mrsoul1974

3 Year Member

It's in the main FORUM page, but here's a link anyway:

https://tarantulaforum.com/forums/tarantula-bite-reports.24/

My best advice is make sure it's a new world species (from what I understand, if bitten, theirs less venomous/powerful and less painful), and just don't handle it. If you don't touch it, it won't bite you.

You could always get something like a wolf spider rather than a tarantula if your cousin really nervous about it. They are a lot smaller and really fun to watch them hunt and eat/pounce on prey! (There's always dwarf T's, but I really don't know much about them as far as beginner T's)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The best Ts to start with for anyone starting in the hobby are the brachypelmas, most are colourful and very calm. The worst they will do is to kick hairs which make you itch if they get you but nothing worse.
Most T bites are treatable with antihistamine that you can buy over the counter, the worst from such as a Pterinochilus murinus or a Poecilotheria may need a trip to A&E for a muscle relaxant.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agree with Enn on everything except the antihistamine, there's not a single documented case of an allergic reaction to ANY tarantula bite, anywhere in the world. So an antihistamine isn't necessary. Considerations should be topical and oral antibiotics and a spine.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you don't touch the tarantula, it won't bite you.

A paintbrush and a catch cup with a lid that fits are your best friends, even for beginner species.

Latest posts