• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Avicularia sexing help

Pinkyx92

Hey I just got a Pink Toe the other day and unfortunately the shop had no info on it. I actually have a lot of research to do as far as identification goes.. I took some pictures of Mephala with my temporary phone so I apologize for the quality since they aren't perfect. Lend me your thoughts on whether Mephala is a male or female I will be forever grateful. c:

20190630_175623.jpg
20190630_192054.jpg
20190630_175717.jpg

nedaK

I think male but the shape of the flap is a little iffy. Is it possible you could take a new picture straight on without an angle to it?

Pinkyx92

My eyes are so bad I need a magnifying glass..and glasses. Unfortunately I have neither right now. I can't see any pronounced pedipalps but it is still young and I don't have a molt so I am relying on you guys. One minute I feel strongly Mephala is a female and the next I am sure he's a male. This is also my first Avicularia species so I am kind of in the dark about a few things. I only got the common name Pink Toe when I got the T. I felt awful for how they were keeping it and did some work in exchange for it. I thought she might have been A. Urticans m1 because of this pic of her.
20190630_174848.jpg
So right now I am just sure it is an Avicularia and when it ate and pooped last XD Ya know..the important stuff.

Tnoob

My eyes are so bad I need a magnifying glass..and glasses. Unfortunately I have neither right now. I can't see any pronounced pedipalps but it is still young and I don't have a molt so I am relying on you guys. One minute I feel strongly Mephala is a female and the next I am sure he's a male. This is also my first Avicularia species so I am kind of in the dark about a few things. I only got the common name Pink Toe when I got the T. I felt awful for how they were keeping it and did some work in exchange for it. I thought she might have been A. Urticans m1 because of this pic of her. View attachment 38732 So right now I am just sure it is an Avicularia and when it ate and pooped last XD Ya know..the important stuff.
It's stupid cute. I want to snuggle it.

nedaK

My eyes are so bad I need a magnifying glass..and glasses. Unfortunately I have neither right now. I can't see any pronounced pedipalps but it is still young and I don't have a molt so I am relying on you guys. One minute I feel strongly Mephala is a female and the next I am sure he's a male. This is also my first Avicularia species so I am kind of in the dark about a few things. I only got the common name Pink Toe when I got the T. I felt awful for how they were keeping it and did some work in exchange for it. I thought she might have been A. Urticans m1 because of this pic of her. View attachment 38732 So right now I am just sure it is an Avicularia and when it ate and pooped last XD Ya know..the important stuff.
Avicularia avicularia morph type 1. I just call them double A’s.