• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

A. Avic not eating

Hi folks,

I'm back to ask for some advice on feeding one of my newest Ts. I purchased two a. avics (Koriabo, whom I suspect is a female; and Makushi, whom I suspect is a male) on May 27, 2019. I promptly re-homed them two days later upon advice from several of you (thank you, by the way, for the suggestions. I will post updates on that thread soon!) Anyway, when I purchased these Ts, Koriabo had just recently molted, and the molt was still in the container with her, so I waited 5 days before I fed her. She ate right away, and has since eaten 2x. Makushi had a cricket in the original container with him, which I removed the next day since it hadn't been eaten. After I re-homed them (I think 2 days after I'd purchased them and one day after I'd removed the uneaten food), I tried to feed Makushi once more with a smaller cricket, which also remained uneaten. I tried again a few days later, but even after I offered it with tongs, Makushi ignored it and was very uninterested. I determined at that point that he was in pre-molt, which was confirmed when he molted one week ago. I allowed 5 days before another attempted feeding (2 days ago), but still to no avail. I removed the most recent cricket and now am at a loss for what to do.

Have I just not waited long enough after his molt to offer food? Should I offer food via tongs rather than just letting the cricket roam free in the enclosure?

I'm desperately trying to ensure that I'm providing these Ts with the best care, and am still learning as I go, so all advice is much appreciated! I don't have any experience feeding the T directly by way of tongs, so I tried it out last week with Koriabo first, then with Makushi (which was refused). I was a little jumpy about it, but she didn't seem to mind and took the cricket immediately. I'm sure that with more practice, I can feel more comfortable with this feeding method!

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
First thought would be that it's matured and therefore it will not eat. Second thought is that you offered food too soon. Pictures would be helpful but sometimes the "wait a week" isn't long enough for a larger specimen.

First thought would be that it's matured and therefore it will not eat. Second thought is that you offered food too soon. Pictures would be helpful but sometimes the "wait a week" isn't long enough for a larger specimen.
I should have included that info! These Ts are only about 2 in. long, so he's not mature yet. My best guess is that I just didn't wait long enough, but since I've only had them less than a month, wasn't entirely sure what the temperament of these Ts were. The first pic is one I took the day I purchased them, and the second is one I took the day he molted (he molted during the night).

Attachments

• 00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200528080748522_COVER.jpg
    00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200528080748522_COVER.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200607_221830.jpg
    IMG_20200607_221830.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 17
Is it drinking the drops or attaching the spots where they drop?

Wonder id your T is maybe a little dehydrated if it drinks at every opportunity...
He isn't attacking them, and I haven't watched him actively drink from one....but they disappear by the next time I check on him. I guess it's possible they evaporate, but I was just assuming he was drinking them. He does have a full water dish on the floor of his enclosure as well, but he spends most of the day in his web "hammock," as I refer to it

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As slings and juveniles they spend a fair amount of time in their web tubes. They are opportunistic webbers and will web in any orientation.

Also, it's not uncommon to refer to horizontal web tubes as hammocks lol but it is cute.

As slings and juveniles they spend a fair amount of time in their web tubes. They are opportunistic webbers and will web in any orientation.

Also, it's not uncommon to refer to horizontal web tubes as hammocks lol but it is cute.
Glad I've already got some of the "lingo" down lol the other one I got (Koriabo) hasn't webbed up her enclosure at all, so it's been interesting watching how different they two of them are!

timc

3 Year Member
Sometimes after a molt, even after they’ve hardened up, a tarantula won’t be too keen to leave their web, burrow, what have you. The best we keepers can do is offer prey every once in a while and give them water to drink. I used to stress about the same thing, but the spider knows how to care for itself, and will eat when ready. I don’t recommend tong feeding. No real positive to it and too much can go wrong.

Sometimes after a molt, even after they’ve hardened up, a tarantula won’t be too keen to leave their web, burrow, what have you. The best we keepers can do is offer prey every once in a while and give them water to drink. I used to stress about the same thing, but the spider knows how to care for itself, and will eat when ready. I don’t recommend tong feeding. No real positive to it and too much can go wrong.
That's great information, thank you so much! I've always been on the fence about tong feeding....mostly because I was unsure of how it affects their predatory response (which is honestly a huge reason I enjoy having Ts in the first place). The least amount I can mess with nature is the best!

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As you grow a custom to your Ts behaviours you discover they all have a preference and feed them all differently. We have small slings that love to wrestle a meal worm. Adults that will only eat small crickets. Most of our Avics go crazy for a locust. And then you have the Ts that are dustbins and will eat anything they can. :)

***CORRECTION***

He was most definitely dehydrated!! I placed more water droplets on his webbing tonight and he went straight for it! So now what's the best way to ensure he's getting enough water, as it seems he doesn't like going down to "ground level" to drink???

As you grow a custom to your Ts behaviours you discover they all have a preference and feed them all differently. We have small slings that love to wrestle a meal worm. Adults that will only eat small crickets. Most of our Avics go crazy for a locust. And then you have the Ts that are dustbins and will eat anything they can. :)
I have slowly been noticing that! I purchased a t. vagans in November (my first one!) and have been growing more and more accustomed to her "personality" as I am able to observe more of her growing cycles, etc. It's been such a fun learning experience taking care of Ts - very humbling, yet exciting!

Konstantin

3 Year Member
***CORRECTION***

He was most definitely dehydrated!! I placed more water droplets on his webbing tonight and he went straight for it! So now what's the best way to ensure he's getting enough water, as it seems he doesn't like going down to "ground level" to drink???
Hi
thats the way.Keep the dish full and drop water on web(decor) as second option once a week.
Regards Konstantin

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
probably too late to the party on this one, but if you have any hot glue you can always mount a water dish mid way up the enclosure on the bark or background. I rarely do this for my arboreal though. Usually sufficient to leave on the ground as they do scurry about when we are tucked under our blanky and will find it if they need it.

Water on the web, especially after a moult, will do no harm anyway as it will help the T recover strength and rehydrate after the moult in order to get strong enough to go wandering for the main water supply (the dish).

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For my Avic Avic I have a water bowl on the ground, which I have never seen it use, plus a handful of Sphagnum moss, which it does sometimes sit on. But I also mist the hanging plastic plants for him weekly & he often comes out from behind the plants, or out of the bark tube, following a misting.

Food wise my Avic Avic has never taken food, other than overnight & as the enclosure has LOTS of hiding places for a cricket, I just keep an eye & remove any uneaten food after 48 hours. But it is very rare to see any past that second night. With all my other T's I remove after the first night, but for some reason with this chap I leave it 48 hours. But I do not know why, just that it seems to work best with him.

probably too late to the party on this one, but if you have any hot glue you can always mount a water dish mid way up the enclosure on the bark or background. I rarely do this for my arboreal though. Usually sufficient to leave on the ground as they do scurry about when we are tucked under our blanky and will find it if they need it.

Water on the web, especially after a moult, will do no harm anyway as it will help the T recover strength and rehydrate after the moult in order to get strong enough to go wandering for the main water supply (the dish).
This is good to know! I've suspected that he is (actually all 3 of my Ts are) much more active at night, so I was hoping he was getting enough water while I wasn't looking. But I will remember to give him the extra support after his molt! Thank you!

For my Avic Avic I have a water bowl on the ground, which I have never seen it use, plus a handful of Sphagnum moss, which it does sometimes sit on. But I also mist the hanging plastic plants for him weekly & he often comes out from behind the plants, or out of the bark tube, following a misting.

Food wise my Avic Avic has never taken food, other than overnight & as the enclosure has LOTS of hiding places for a cricket, I just keep an eye & remove any uneaten food after 48 hours. But it is very rare to see any past that second night. With all my other T's I remove after the first night, but for some reason with this chap I leave it 48 hours. But I do not know why, just that it seems to work best with him.
To each their own, right? Isn't it funny how they all have their own preferences and dislikes? I will maybe leave the cricket in just a touch longer next time to see if maybe he needs a little longer to hunt it down. The way I have their enclosure set up doesn't allow for a plethora of hiding spaces for the cricket, but Makushi does love to hang out in his webbing and might just need a little more encouragement to stray from his happy place lol thank you for your help!