• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

40 Gallon Breeder Aquarium for Tarantula?

kheymann

3 Year Member
Hello all,

I have a empty 40 Gallon breeder aquarium which is 36" x 18" x 16" in size. It has a dual pane glass top as well.

I have never owned a Tarantula but have always wanted to. I would appreciate it if someone could walk me through a setup to keep a Chilean Rose Tarantula in a tank of this size.. or let me know if perhaps it might be too large? And if possible, what be some types of possible plants, substrate etc that could go well in here.

Thanks.

kheymann

3 Year Member
Also forgot to add to this. Is Terra Cotta safe for T's ?? I have a large flower pot that I had cut in half as a possible hiding spot for when I get a setup going.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Terra cotta should be just fine for tarantulas. 40 gal is large but it'll make a pretty neat enclosure! Can't wait to see some pics!

kheymann

3 Year Member
From what I understand the Chillean Rose is from the far SW United States and Mexico, so I would assume a sand substrate be safe for them. Maybe somehow mimic something like a tumble weed and maybe some kind of spineless cactus as reading they don't like alot of humidy so a low water plant seems like a good choice. It may be at the very least a month or two before I get a setup working as I have to move begining of October, learn a new city .. find local pet stores etc. Hopefully I can find plenty of help here in the forums.

kheymann

3 Year Member
Okay more idea's on how I want my tank to progressively look. Sand, spineless cacti, a small tumble weed or two.. and if I can get a dremel tool and some old wood.. make a minature ghost like town for the back wall just as a fun cosmetic thing.. now if I could manage to get a small cowboy hat for the Tarantula that would be great.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Hahahaha I was with you even up to the ghost town part!
But seriously, I love the natural landscape scene and I bet your tarantula will too!

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
This isn't a challenge to what you said, but I would like to know more... How does sand damage their joints?

Samuraisid

3 Year Member
Im very glad you asked, I had to go back and look it up myself. Personally I never trust anyone unless they can back up there opinion, so Im far from insulted;)

Due to the small grain size, it easily becomes trapped between the Tarantulas exoskeleton and bristles. As they walk around it will stick to their feet, as youve probably noticed with peat or coco, and they go to groom placing sand in the joint. Its an abrasive and will do serious damage.

A Tarantulas book lungs can become clogged with sand very easily.

Sand doesnt hold water, allowing it to pool on the bottom and stagnate. This also makes it poor choice for burrowing T's. or T's requireing high humidity.

1 cubic foot of sand weighs in at 30lbs. 1 cubic foot of peat or coco weighs... Maybe one pound?

I agree with everything in the Substrate thread, in the enclosure section. Stick to Peat or Coco or Vermiculite or any combination thereof. I have used all three to varying degrees. Currently, I prefer a mix of 50% coco to 50% peat. The only reason is aesthetic and personal preferance... Although I do tend to keep my darker T's on a mix including 50% vermiculite, but I might stop this practise as I dont care for the look of vermiculite.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Fascinating. Thanks for the explanation. I, too, like to know what the backup is. It makes more sense to me that way.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would advise against a 40 gallon tank. The issue with the tank is the height.Tarantulas are very Fragine. especially large bodied terrestrials such as Grammastola sp. a fall of any distance could severely injure or even kill your tarantula. so to be safe you'd need the Substrate in a 16" high tank to be up to about the 12" mark. althought Rose's aren't climbers they will climb. and the closer they are to the substrate the better. a 10 gallon, or ever a sterilite tote would be much better imo.

and I agree with everything Sid said.

Latest posts