• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

3.5" P. auratus Enclosure Size

NorseDad

I recently reserved a P. auratus from a local breeder that I'll be picking up on Wednesday. Originally, I had believed (without verifying) that I was purchasing a sling just based on the price. I messaged the breeder over the weekend inquiring if the spider had arrived yet. They ended up sending me a picture, and it is actually a 3.5" T. Turns out they were surprising me since I have made so many purchases in the past. I'm not complaining as most of my 17 Ts are slow growing slings around 1-2". It's also a verified female, which I am extremely excited about. The problem is that I need to find a good enclosure for it ahead of time.

With the growth rates of the species in mind, what size enclosure should I roughly be looking for to ensure I'm not having to rehouse again very quickly? Does anyone have any suggestions that are not a plastic tub? I really like to display my T's at every size, so I was looking for good acrylic or possibly glass enclosures I could convert.

I appreciate any responses.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
something around 30x20x15 high in cm will make a good home for it.They are good hunters with very good pray responce.Mine is a but shy and burrowed quite a bit spending most of its time underground even now at 3 inch just made himself a nice burrow moving tons of substrate but is still out and about . I keep mine in smaller 20x20x10high in cm and it settled very well but I keep my juvies in plastic boxes and dont give them oversized enclosures as dont mind rehousing as needed every few moults.
Hope that helps.
Regards Konstantin

NorseDad

Hi
something around 30x20x15 high in cm will make a good home for it.They are good hunters with very good pray responce.Mine is a but shy and burrowed quite a bit spending most of its time underground even now at 3 inch just made himself a nice burrow moving tons of substrate but is still out and about . I keep mine in smaller 20x20x10high in cm and it settled very well but I keep my juvies in plastic boxes and dont give them oversized enclosures as dont mind rehousing as needed every few moults.
Hope that helps.
Regards Konstantin
Thank you for the advice!

Latest posts