• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

2inch Brachypalma hamorii

PawelDaros

Arrived today my mail.
IMG_20200311_182051.jpg

E

ExMember

Send me a picture when it gets bigger ...its easy to tell.

I have many pics. But it's hard to tell cause the second stripe looks orange in some pics and cream in others. Gotta be some lighting tricks going on.

This pic seems smithi

This one not so sure

Attachments

• 20200216_201444.jpg
    20200216_201444.jpg
    685.5 KB · Views: 9

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have many pics. But it's hard to tell cause the second stripe looks orange in some pics and cream in others. Gotta be some lighting tricks going on.

This pic seems smithi

This one not so sure
I am saying hamorii. The orange/cream band is usually a little larger on the Smithi. I don't think it is orange enough anyway. There is also a distinct presence of a black segment at the top of the palps which is also a give away to hamorii as there is a feint black 'marking' that almost borders on looking like a flame on most knee segment.
The biggest difference however, is something that is not clear in the picture which is the black marking on the carapace. Smithi (when bigger anyway) have what appears to be a maple leaf design whereas the hamorii is more a solid black area fringed in tan.
a good comparison can be seen in this screen shot
20190606_195639.jpg

@Arachnoclown also shared some useful advice which I copied the text onto some more pictures of B smithi
20191218_091248.jpg

Last edited:
E

ExMember

I am saying hamorii. The orange/cream band is usually a little larger on the Smithi. I don't think it is orange enough anyway. There is also a distinct presence of a black segment at the top of the palps which is also a give away to hamorii as there is a feint black 'marking' that almost borders on looking like a flame on most knee segment.
The biggest difference however, is something that is not clear in the picture which is the black marking on the carapace. Smithi (when bigger anyway) have what appears to be a maple leaf design whereas the hamorii is more a solid black area fringed in tan.
a good comparison can be seen in this screen shot
View attachment 43996
@Arachnoclown also shared some useful advice which I copied the text onto some more pictures of B smithi
View attachment 43997
Either way! I'm impartial. Just bought him as a red knee. The person who bred him doesn't know a lot about spiders ( great reptile guy though). Seems kinda like a hybrid with the markings you descibed. I'm seeing double orange bands on one pic and not the other. He just started kicking hairs again which he seems to do in premoult so we may get a better look after he moults. :)

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Either way! I'm impartial. Just bought him as a red knee. The person who bred him doesn't know a lot about spiders ( great reptile guy though). Seems kinda like a hybrid with the markings you descibed. I'm seeing double orange bands on one pic and not the other. He just started kicking hairs again which he seems to do in premoult so we may get a better look after he moults. :)

That seems to be the issue the hobby has sometimes. Doesn’t know much about spiders but breeds anyway because he sees money.

Latest posts