• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

1" B. Hamori and B. Smithi together?

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a B hamori and a B smithi about 1" each spiderlings and I want to put them together. Can I do this? Is this possible? Or should I keep them separate?
No way should you keep them together.. One will eat the other... Besides why would you want to keep them together? .. You wouldnt be able to tell them apart!?!

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Cannibalism will happen. Never place two tarantulas in the same enclosure unless you plan to breed OR if they are good communal species, ESPECIALLY if they are two different species. Even during breeding, the female can eat the male. Slings- no reason to put them in the same enclosure except for species that make great communal setups. Examples of good communal species to keep are:

Poecilotheria sp.
Monocentropus balfouri
Neoholothele incei

:)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Darn. Lol. I figured but I questioned it anyways. So only slings from the same sac can technically be placed together ?
not even then. Every spider is cannibalistic at the end of the day.

There are one or two species where they TOLERATE each other and can live communaly but the smithi and hamorii are NOT one of those species.

The only time they 'live together' is when they are in the egg sac and initially hatch out of the sac whilst still absorbing the yolk.

Once they have had their first moult (often referenced as L1 when buying spiderlings), they have the ability to hunt and kill (including each other).

Last edited:

timc

3 Year Member
If you want bugs you can keep together assassin bugs are pretty cool. A friend of mine has a pair and he’s very happy with them.

Latest posts