• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Worm on the loose

Paul Bowen

3 Year Member
Tried to feed my T but the superb worm got away from me and her. I left it in the enclosure and it went underground, what should I do?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dont sweat it. It will burrow and pupate into a beetle, then blunder to the surface and walk around. Spiders wont eat them, but the beetle will eat a molting spider. You can check the sides and find it pupating, remove it with tweezers. Or wait till it emerges and grab it. Get enough of the beetles an you can breed your own superworms

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yup. Those darkling beetles eat anything and everything, including each other. They wont mess with a good sized t unless its molting though. I cut a superworm in half, and the front part burrowed and tried to pupate. Crush the heads for slings, or chop them up for tiny slings. They are handy feeders for the babies, makes feeding easy.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I will leave dubias with the heads crushed over night. But nothing else
if a dubia escapes i feed another one to the T and make sure they eat that one. the escaped one is a snack for later ;) With lateralis i just drop them in, if they don't eat over night they have a pet for another day or 2. if they haven't eaten it on the 3rd day i remove it. they're either fasting or premolt then.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
if a dubia escapes i feed another one to the T and make sure they eat that one. the escaped one is a snack for later ;) With lateralis i just drop them in, if they don't eat over night they have a pet for another day or 2. if they haven't eaten it on the 3rd day i remove it. they're either fasting or premolt then.
When i first started. I used lobster roaches. Id just drop them in and wait a day or two. Most of the time they got taken down on sight. I neglected To crush a dubia head droped it in. Burrowed immediately . But resurfaced when the lights went out(i knw that cause i checked;)) then got taken down as well

Latest posts