• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Wolf spider growth and life span

Jennifer Duncan

3 Year Member
I have a one year old T. Aspersa who hasn't molted since December. Does anyone have experience with growth rate or life span.
uploadfromtaptalk1469351503264.jpg

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Jennifer,

There are over a thousand species of wolf spiders. I have kept about a half dozen species over the years. Currently keeping Tigrosa helluo and Hogna Lenta. It is often hard to tell how old wolves are when they are aquired? So, I am not 100% certain of the number of molts during their lifespan. Mine have generally molted only once or twice during their lives. Wolves generally last one season although I have had one for nearly two years. Most sources claim that they live about 18 months. Too short so enjoy every moment! :)

Jennifer Duncan

3 Year Member
Thanks so much. I raised her from hatching. Her momma was about an inch bigger than she is now. She molted quite often from May to December....but nothing since.

Sent from my LGMS330 using Tapatalk

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Entity, Not much of a photographer. Also challenged with time these days. I did invest in a digital microscope to really take my spider pics to a whole new level! Alas, it sits still in the original box :(. But let me try to dig up some of my older photos to share....

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For some of the new comers, here is a pic of my primary enclosure display (I have two other walls full now as well :confused:). The middle row on the shelf unit on the left is my funnel webs and six eyed sand spider. The top row in the middle are various species of Widows. The middle row on the right is a hodge podge including some wolves.....

Enclosure1_zpsa337e76a.png

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I ordered the actual round enclosures from a UK company called Bugzarre. Some really neat inexpensive enclosures besides the acrylics.

http://bugzarre.co.uk/HOUSING/Acrylic-Style-Housing

I then custom ordered acrylic rods and used expoxy to cement them into the center. My hope was that I would have full visibility into their burrows. Although the effect failed, I am still pleased with the end result. Probably could have gotten an even wider diameter rod but wanted the spiders to have some room.