• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Which are the best tarantula breeds for cross breeding?

DrSpider

3 Year Member
Hey gang whats up.

I have been breeding tarantulas for a while now and I would like to start breeding hybrids. I think hybrids are the greatest because they are the best of two species. They are the spider equivalent of a mule or wolfdog. I'm sure you will agree that cross breeding tarantulas brings a whole new dimension to the hobby. Of course many of the resulting hybrids will be sterile, but that just adds to their charm and uniqueness.

Despite numerous attempts I am having difficulty getting tarantulas from different species to mate. I am now seriously considering artificial insemination. Can someone please tell me which breeds are most likely to mate with each other? Or, if there is no other way, how can I successfully fertilize a tarantula artificially?

Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Lee. M

3 Year Member
I agree that cross breeding brings a whole new dimension to the hobby - in the worst possible way.
I could make a list of reasons why hybridisation shouldn't happen; but I'll get angry, ranty, patronising, and abusive in doing so.
My advice (since you asked) is simply - don't!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

LadyFang618

3 Year Member
I agree with @Enn49 and @Lee.M ... especially Lee. If I have to make a list of why it shouldn't happen I will get myself kicked from what I call home cuz I will say some very very very rude nasty words. It's not ok! If u want reasons against why it shouldn't happen without someone getting pissed off you should go to YouTube and watch Deadly Tarantula Girl's video on hybridization.
See I'm already getting pissy. So like an adult with some kind of grasp on my aggression, I'm going to stop with that. But I really hope u reconsider. Especially about trying artificial inseminaton. That's invasive on the human species, I can't bear to think how invasive it would be on a species that I actually love unconditionally. I love them the way that they are!!!

Ok I'm done...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Look at H.Gigas, someone cross bred them with something and the "hobby form" are just mean! I wanted one for ages but waited on true (WC) specimens to become available before i got one... The thought that there's actually people out there messing with pedigrees makes my blood boil... That crap could spread like wildfire in our hobby :mad:
I was unaware of that happening to H.gigas. I want to get one of those as well. Gonna have to interrogate sellers before I buy them now. Bad cop time:mad:

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think this is the only comment this 5 year old post will get from me:

SMH

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Even if you did get something huge or exotic, it would be hybrid vigor, which is only F1 and won't be passed down.

Otherwise, you might get something resembling the ancestral form both branched off from. Typically not as healthy or sterile.

This means that there's no money in it.

Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is one of the big things that, as hobbyists you just don't do. The idea of hybridization of tarantulas is not a smart one, that would be muddying the gene pool. Hybridization is one of those topics that is very risky to bring up on any of the three main tarantula forums. This is an old thread, but this is a question that that some still ask despite all of the threads on all three forums that advise against it. I know most people on the three forums, but there are some out there who slip through, and think that hybrids will make them a ton of money and everybody will be supportive of that idea without question.

To all newbies and those, who are planning on doing such a bad practice: it is not smart, it would be a very unwise decision.

Latest posts