• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What to do when you have a T bite?

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All taranchula bites should always be followed with a visit to the hospital, at the very least you need to get yourself on a regimen of antibiotics due to the bacteria carried on the exterior of the fangs, which have been injected into your blood stream. While the venom itself may not be a potential threat, the bacterial infection could be. Of the known tarantula bite reports resulting in death, the cause was due to sepsis as a result of the infection. Of course you could just take your pain med to reduce the swelling, ignore the bite, and within 24 to 48 hours infection will most likely set in; then seek medical attention after the fact.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All taranchula bites should always be followed with a visit to the hospital, at the very least you need to get yourself on a regimen of antibiotics due to the bacteria carried on the exterior of the fangs, which have been injected into your blood stream. While the venom itself may not be a potential threat, the bacterial infection could be. Of the known tarantula bite reports resulting in death, the cause was due to sepsis as a result of the infection. Of course you could just take your pain med to reduce the swelling, ignore the bite, and within 24 to 48 hours infection will most likely set in; then seek medical attention after the fact.
Could you post a link to these known deaths? I wasnt aware there were any..
In response to the doctor visit, I don't believe I would find it necessary. Then again I have anti biotics on hand already, if I think they're needed. I would probably just use a topical cream though.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I will have to do some digging to find them again. If i can locate them i will post.
Here you go
Banerjee, K, R Banerjee, A K Mukherjee, and D Ghosh. “Tarantula Bite Leads to Death and Gangrene.” Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology 63, no. 2 (April 1997): 125–126.

I am unable to find the other articles. I will keep looking.

Last edited:

Thistles

3 Year Member
http://www.nsrl.ttu.edu/personnel/J...s/publications/1996Breene_etal_tarantulas.pdf
The above mentions a death from Phormictopus, but I'm skeptical. The TKG also talks about bite reports and mentions a few deaths, one from Tetanus and the other Tularemia following tarantula bites in addition to a few deaths in children due to "unknown causes." We need to take all such anecdotal and unconfirmed reports for what they are, though.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We do have to be aware of the issue with possible secondary infections,
they can lie semi dormant then rampage quickly throughout your system with devastating results.
Lost my sister two years ago to sepsis and my mother less then a month ago. Again, sepsis that they somehow 'missed'
I'm not however an alarmist, cat bites can and do, do the same thing but I'm not getting rid of my cats or my arachnids.

Any puncture wound from a source such as spider fangs can and often will cause a serious infection,
Best bet is be aware and take precautions.
Scrub the wound well and use a topical antibiotic, then keep using it!!
You want the wound to stay soft and open for any drainage of possible infection.
And 'if' you have any signs of infection take your a$$ to the doctor :p
Common sense folks, we are supposed to be smarter then the spiders are !

I would honestly think most keepers should have researched this already?
basic treatment link below
http://www.desertusa.com/insects/tarantula-bite-treatment.html

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Years ago I found a report about a man in Africa that supposedly fell into a coma from a bite. Further digging revealed that he was starving, dehydrated, and had several other medical problems, including a disease that escapes my memory..I agree that reports from less advanced countries should be taken with a grain of salt. Perhaps the whole shaker..

Roo

3 Year Member
I would honestly think most keepers should have researched this already?
basic treatment link below
http://www.desertusa.com/insects/tarantula-bite-treatment.html

Well I am now XD But really I don't think there is any harm in asking questions you already know the answer to, mostly because the "correct" and "best" answer can change over the years. Who knows, one day someone may discover that rubbing an orange on a bite will heal it :D

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well I am now XD But really I don't think there is any harm in asking questions you already know the answer to, mostly because the "correct" and "best" answer can change over the years. Who knows, one day someone may discover that rubbing an orange on a bite will heal it :D
Very true!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

The oranges grown near Cherynobyl, or any of the 99 nuke plants in the US will do this already ;) Also Windex will cure the bite instantly, it takes care of everything.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

DewDrop

3 Year Member
They say tarantula venom doesn't contain enough peptides to cause an allergic reaction in a human. It's never been disproven ;)

Ok that is great. Especially since the venom's are used in research. I am relieved. That makes it all the better now if guests think they can just walk up and open a habitat, if they get bitten I have a LOT less worry. Thanks ya'll. I was REALLY sweating that. Awesome. What a relief.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:T:This is in jest only :T:

What to do in the event of a Tarantula bite,
  • 1) -reprimand yourself for forcing the T to feel it needed to defend itself.
  • 2) -check the T and make sure s/he is ok.
  • 3) - repeat #1
  • 4) -supply said T a meal as an apology for bothering it.
  • 5) -repeat #1
  • 6) -take a benadryl tablet
  • 7) -repeat #1
  • 8) -whine moan and complain about being tagged.
  • 9) -repeat #1
  • 10) -take pictures and post to the forum
  • 11) -repeat #1
  • 12) -console yourself by ordering several more T's

Short addition for @Enn49
Excellent advice, think I would just repeat step 1 and 12 put in this situation. Made me smile that did.

Bingyu

3 Year Member
I've heard that some people who have been bitten by Pterinochilus murinus. Sounds terrible but in fact, they just take a sleep then they'll recover. but you have to make sure that you're not allergic to the reaction.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've heard that some people who have been bitten by Pterinochilus murinus. Sounds terrible but in fact, they just take a sleep then they'll recover. but you have to make sure that you're not allergic to the reaction.
There has never been a documented allergic reaction to tarantula venom. The big brains say there's not enough peptides in it to cause one in a human being. ;)