• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What not to feed slings ?

john m shires

3 Year Member
Last week I had a lovely avicularia versicolor it was only small 1.5 and very lively.

I was feeding it fruit fly’s and Dubai roaches squashed I also had a white stripe this was even smaller I fed it the same all was ok. Until I went and bought some pinheads crickets. I put 4 or 5 in each and left them to enjoy. Oh dear I think I made a big booboo a no no. The next day when I checked on my little slings to my horror I found that the pin heads had in fact eaten my slings all that was left was empty shells. And yes I searched and searched thinking that they had moulted but no only empty shells.

So I was wondering if any one els has had this misfortune happening to them.

On the bright side I have a little smithi that last night moulted for the second time and is now beginning to look like a smithi with his her little bands starting to show.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
1st thing is that you should never put that many crickets in with a sling. 1 will do just fine. 2nd It's unlikely that a cricket predated your sling. If the crickets did infact eat your slings It's likely they (the slings) were dead before hand(especially with your Versi being 1.5"). It is possible that the 5 pinheads stressed them to death. I wouldn't throw anything out just yet though. Freshly moulted T's are expert hiders.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pinheads are fine, just not in such large quantities. Feed 1 pinhead , leave it for 12 hours and if not eaten remove it.
Such large quantities of food should only be tried with agressive eaters and even still I'd suggest offering one at a time.
good luck.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I stay away from beetles. Not much to eat outside of the exo. and definitely stay away from anything wild caught.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pinheads, and Roach nymphs are great feeders for slings. Dubia Roaches, are my preferred feeder for adults. I also suggest staying away from Vertebrates of any kind.

john m shires

3 Year Member
I have a Colony of Dubia Roaches that i use for a bearded dragon and have been
Using the smallest ones cut in half I put them in with the slings I have seen smithi on this so I assume it is eating it.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What a sad story that's terrible I feel so sorry for you that's a horrible thing to happen.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Keep us updated on what happens (if you find your sling)
So sorry to hear about this

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow, so glad I read this post.

I am anticipating, when I finally decide on my specie(s) to acquire a few slings (see I am learning the lingo already) that are only 1.5 inches or so.

What should they eat? How big are pinheads? And where do you get them? I have only seen regular crickets at local pet supply places around here. Should I raise my own? I already raise red wigglers in my vermicomposting bin in the basement and don't mind trying such things.

What do you guys think?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How small is small? I know smaller than the sling, but I am a totally nerd here. Not trying to be difficult or anything, I am just curious.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
How small is small? I know smaller than the sling, but I am a totally nerd here. Not trying to be difficult or anything, I am just curious.

good rule of thumb is to keep the prey item 1/2 the size of the T. 0.75" crickets would be fine for most 1.5" Ts.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ah, that works well for my analytical butt. And the slings I am considering are 1/2 inch, not 1.5 inches. So are .25 inch crickets easy to find, so should I find sources for smaller foods?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So, further reading on feeding slings mentions Dubia nymphs. How do you guys feel about those? Do you use them? Buy or grow your own? If you buy, where? Any good online sources? What about meal worms?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ah, that works well for my analytical butt. And the slings I am considering are 1/2 inch, not 1.5 inches. So are .25 inch crickets easy to find, so should I find sources for smaller foods?

sometimes .25" are hard to find. But they're easy to breed. just get a couple female crickets toss em in a bin with a couple inches of coconut coir, keep it warm (80s) and humid. Take the females out after 24 hours or so, and give it 2 weeks. Voilla, .25" crickets.

Latest posts