• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

What do you guys think? yellow sac spider? what should i do with him?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
20161028_000715.jpg

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gorgeous! I always try to have a yellow sac spider in my collection. Of all my true spiders, I have had the hardest time keeping them alive in captivity. Longest I have had one is about 3 months. If you decide to keep it, keep us posted on how it goes so we can learn from your experiences.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gorgeous! I always try to have a yellow sac spider in my collection. Of all my true spiders, I have had the hardest time keeping them alive in captivity. Longest I have had one is about 3 months. If you decide to keep it, keep us posted on how it goes so we can learn from your experiences.
Didn't keep him Denny. But I find them ALL the time! lol. crawling around the kitchen mostly. Next time I might try to keep one. If u want I could try to send u one if u r located in the US. I forget.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Entity,

I think you should give it a go. Have you ever kept true spiders? If u need any assistance, feel free to reach out. Yellow Sacs have a reputation for delivering a pretty nasty bite. Their venom has shown properties similar to the recluse spiders. Necrotic. Should not be an issue for you as a keeper based on your experiences but would be a bit concerned about the "house pets".

I have found them to be quite shy and reserved but they could bite if tangled up in your clothes, shoes or towels?

I generally try to keep one of each of my true spiders at a time due to running out of enclosure space (Think I am at about 150 inverts now not including my Isopods! ). I have a yellow sac in the collection currently so don't need one now. I am in the USA. I will reach out when I am in the market for one for sure. I have struggled keeping them alive I think because of the humidity. Trying to keep it higher on my current gal. So, if anyone has any experience here, let us know. Thanks!

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Entity,

I think you should give it a go. Have you ever kept true spiders? If u need any assistance, feel free to reach out. Yellow Sacs have a reputation for delivering a pretty nasty bite. Their venom has shown properties similar to the recluse spiders. Necrotic. Should not be an issue for you as a keeper based on your experiences but would be a bit concerned about the "house pets".

I have found them to be quite shy and reserved but they could bite if tangled up in your clothes, shoes or towels?

I generally try to keep one of each of my true spiders at a time due to running out of enclosure space (Think I am at about 150 inverts now not including my Isopods! ). I have a yellow sac in the collection currently so don't need one now. I am in the USA. I will reach out when I am in the market for one for sure. I have struggled keeping them alive I think because of the humidity. Trying to keep it higher on my current gal. So, if anyone has any experience here, let us know. Thanks!
cool! good to know. I think next time I find one Ill try to keep it. small arboreal setup with a little cocofiber for humidity and a stick for them to build a web I am assuming? let me know things u find out and I will certainly do the same. If we keep having them last longer and longer we can refine the best way to keep them....awesome experimentation!

Also, I forgot to say. I have never kept a true spider. I was always turned away from them I guess because they don't live very long.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sounds good! Set-up sounds perfect. They tend to build a small sack-like web cocoon and hide away in there quite a bit. But they do like to climb so will appreciate the arboreal setup. They are surprisingly quick as I am sure you have found out when try to rescue one from the house.

Welcome to the True Spider club!

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sounds good! Set-up sounds perfect. They tend to build a small sack-like web cocoon and hide away in there quite a bit. But they do like to climb so will appreciate the arboreal setup. They are surprisingly quick as I am sure you have found out when try to rescue one from the house.

Welcome to the True Spider club!
yeah they are fast...I just picked them up...I guess I should use something to handle them with.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i wish lol i been buying them for nieces and nephews and friends here at work that are scared of just about any bug ;) it's quite entertaining watching them try and catch a brown house spider. One lady here sides steps up to it like a boxer, presses in the bellow, then aims the bugzooka, closes her eyes, hits the button, then squeals and drops it, while doing a little dance thing to hide behind someone.

Latest posts