• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tylobolus from Fresno California

Lee Sanchez

3 Year Member
IMG_8861 millipede.jpg

This millipede was caught in Fresno California. They don't seem to mind being picked up gently. I caught five of these and they mated in my tank above ground with no shame. There is one in my tank that is a bit bigger than this one but I think this is normally the full size. I almost felt bad for the one it mated with it was so much bigger. This one is roughly four inches or so long by visual estimation. There is a lot of babies and they are growing fast. I would be willing to trade some babies for other pet insects. The way I keep mine are in a tall container with hard wood logs vertically buried in a mixture of Organic soil, hard wood sawdust, calcium sand, crushed hardwood leaves and a thick layer of dry hardwood leaves on top. I keep it lightly watered and occasionally put in fruit and vegie scraps. They will eat out of your hand and you can feel them scrape your hand lightly seeing if you are food but it does not hurt at all. The only one that ever excreted was the extra big one that doesn't come out much. Maybe this is how he got extra big. I wash my hands before and after just incase. So far I would say banana and pumpkin are their favorite foods. Mine live with isopods from the backyard. I have seen one of these being eaten by a very long very skinny red centipede in the wild. In the coastal mountains near here I've seen another millipede I want but they are hard to find. If anyone has info I'd appreciate it. It is white and very long. It is easily mistaken for a centipede at first. Any comments, info or questions welcome.

BobBarley

3 Year Member
Hey! I'm located about 40 min - 1 hour from you (I think) here in Ripon, right next to Modesto. I've found the same species of millipede right here. The long red centipede you're talking about should be Strigamia species, a species I've been looking for around here.

Know what species the "white and very long" millipede you're talking about is? I've never heard of one like that around here.