• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ts venom & animals

spidey noob

3 Year Member
hi all, i have had to take my dog to the vets this moring, (just for a checkup)
now while i was there i had a conversation with her abought the affects of Ts venom on animals. now from what she said to me !!!

1 / if a cat or dog gets tagged buy a NW spices they will need urgent medical attention but there venom is not neseraly strong enought to kill them alough it would make them seriously ill & be very painfull for them

now for OW
2 / if a car or dog gets bit buy a OW spices its a diffrent ball game all together, basicaly they dont stand much chance of surviveing even with medical assistance as OW venom is mutch stronger than most people understsnd it to be.

sorry i dont have a more detaild post abought this, but i only had time for a quick chat with her at the end of my oppontment but i can & will be going back to speak with her further when i get a chance.
(so will up date u more then) hope this helps some one ;)

Fleas

3 Year Member
Wat about children I think the venom affect the victim by how big they are and allergic reaction right? Like a poodle would get more sick then a great Dane would

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Wat about children I think the venom affect the victim by how big they are and allergic reaction right? Like a poodle would get more sick then a great Dane would
This depends on the species, whether OW or NW.
Yes, there are confirmed reports of large dogs dying from bites in Australia.
At the ER, they can only treat the symptoms, not the venom, as there isn't tarantula anti-venom. Look on You Tube at RobC and his videos on being tagged by one of his pokies. In no time flat he was in severe pain and felt the onslaught of nausea setting in. In a small child it would probably be worse and the effects longer lasting. Not to mention the mechanical damage and long term psychological affect it has. This is a good reason to keep children away from Ts without adult supervision and NOT allow them to "handle" one. IMO!

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@spidey noob . Im glad i keep all my deli style enclosures in a exo terra 12x12 tank. I have a kitten (norwegian forest cat) coming in 13 weeks and i would hate that to get tagged by my H.Pulchripes. i will keep the cat out of the room when feeding and doing tank maintenance.
You got any new T's?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would agree with the vet. T's can be lethal to dogs. Yet widow spiders bites are virtually harmless to dogs and lethal to humans. Go figure? Venom from spiders is a truly fascinating area to study. Not as much out there today as there will be in the future. I would also point to this topic as yet another reason to not handle the critters as one never knows the result of getting tagged. Allergies and tetanus are also very real concerns. Always use safety.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
@sym
i agree your best keeping them locked away if u got other pets ;)
thats exactly why i went for vivs over a rack i cant have as many Ts, but at least they cant escape !!!
the 4 avic avic have just arrived !!!

@denny dee
i just wanted to get a deffinitive answer for u all for some one who would know, as i have seen a few posts on this subject lately.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Hence the reason I built a separate room in the basement to keep T's in. With birds, chinchillas and dogs also in the house, an accidental bite would be heartbreaking.