1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Tarantula enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and have a great time with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula Diet

Discussion in 'General Tarantula Discussion' started by new2tarantulas, Aug 16, 2013.

1. new2tarantulas

new2tarantulas Member

Ok so I am currently feeding giant mealworms. I was wondering if super worms were better? Also should I be gut loading these? Any advice on what you feed would be great. I hate crickets and prefer not to use them.
  2. Nada

Nada Moderator

Media:
    Personally I'm not a fan of meal or super worms. They tend to burrow and stay hidden, and if your T molts, or is in pre-molt, they can and have eaten Ts before. They're voracious. Crickets are a better food item, but I understand your hatred for them, I hate them too. Which is why I use almost exclusively Roaches. They're by far the most nutrient rich prey item you can feed a T.
    If you must feed worms, make sure your T eats it. do not leave them in with your T.
  3. new2tarantulas

new2tarantulas Member

I never leave them in and my Ts love them lol nail them as soon as they hit the ground! Should I be gutloading them?
  4. Eightleggedchris

Eightleggedchris Member

You should gut load anything you feed to your tarantula, think about it in terms of nutrient gain. You t needs nutrients to live and grow. Your food items also need nutrients to live and grow. Nutrients are stored in the body. However, if the food item has no nutrients because it hasn't been given the nutrition it needs then the nutrients your t needs will be missing, all your t will be getting is mouth fulls of chitin. Which will lead to health problems with your t. Therefore gut loading is essential.

Hope this helps
  5. Eightleggedchris

Eightleggedchris Member

On a side note, i also prefer to feed crickets and hoppers to my t's. just personal preference.
  6. new2tarantulas

new2tarantulas Member

ok thank you very much! I will do this I know the pet store said they were gut loaded already but u really cant trust them lol
  7. Eightleggedchris

Eightleggedchris Member

Gut loading isnt really a one time thing. I always have food and bug gel available for my crickets to make sure they are full of nutrients. The little critters stomachs will empty pretty quickly im guessing, mayb 24 hours after you buy them. So always best to keep them full
  8. new2tarantulas

new2tarantulas Member

yea I m going to start that. I just bought enough to feed them immediately but since I am wanting to expand my collection I am going to just keep ongoing supply!
  9. Eightleggedchris

Eightleggedchris Member

good, and if you can keep them alive longer you're getting the most out of your money. Plus i hate seeing the little critters dead for no reason. I'm ok with them becoming food (food chain ect)
  10. new2tarantulas

new2tarantulas Member

True I have been contemplating dubia roaches as well! Crickets are easer to get but I hear that dubia roaches are nutritionally better! undecided!
  11. Nada

Nada Moderator

Media:
    Dubia are by far the best feeder for your tarantulas. easy to keep, breed, they don't smell, or make noise, and they're far superior nutritionally.
    Dubia>Crickets/Locusts>Super/Mealworms>Vertebrates.
  12. Eightleggedchris

Eightleggedchris Member

I've never even heard of these roaches, im not even sure if i can buy them in england???

Does anyone know if you can?