• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Tarantula behavior help (Phormictopus cancerides)

DrearyFate

3 Year Member
My Haitan Brown "Lucie" has sat in a corner all week no movement since 2 days ago when she was drinking from her water dish after that back to the corner, she recently just went through a molt that kept her in hide for about 2 months (buried herself and covered both entrances of her log) and now that she is out she looks very very pretty, but aside from her hiding for 2 months this is the most she has been inactive while out of her hide. She also has her legs in front of her face occasionally "slouched" over in an uncomfortable position.
1489961261354626352948.jpg
14899612879571611046235.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks like shes just crouching on the moist area, when mine do that I just give them fresh water and a larger moist area. I often see mine with their legs in front of their eyes like that, I always assumed they were just blocking the light. She may have had a rough molt, or something could be wrong. OR she may be perfectly fine. Has she eaten since the molt?

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
As @MassExodus and @kormath have said:
- Nothing special to worry about: probably just recovering from the molt. The older they are, the longer it takes to recover. My old smithi doesn't eat for at least one month after a molt. It's normal if she's thirsty: molting takes a lot of water (that's why they like to "chew" the molt), then yours need the moisture and water dish you are providing.

- If she doesn't eat, leave her alone for one more week, no problems. It takes time.

When was it that she molted? One week ago? And what size has she?

Let us know if the problem persists.