• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So 2 Easters ago...

droosky

3 Year Member
IMG_3121.JPG
I come home to a cute little orange baboon tarantula in a little clear cup! Totally unexpected, which usually describes my wifes behavior. Here in Sactomato we have a children's amusement park, "Fairy Tale Town" inside which there is a barn in which an impressive Tarantula menagerie in displayed. Admired did I the OBT and its coloring, so my wife surprised me with one of my own. Unbeknownst to her, nor unrelayed to her by the local vendor, that this is a rather aggressive, not to be handled, really, old world species!

Dont worry, we all still live and Tangie has be rehoused once to a 8" terr. I worry a bit lately, as this current molt seems longer than previous molts. Were at two months. Still a newbie, and and all advice appreciated. Question: OBT kept dry with only water dish??

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
As she seems not so little in your picture, I wouldn't worry too much. I checked my records: my OBT has once stopped eating from December to May... They are the hardiest T you can find, and don't care too much about eating. Two months is nothing to worry about. Just try to give a cricket once every three weeks or so, and take it away if it's not eaten the next day.

About the moisture: I keep mine bone dry with a full water dish, without any issues.

Your wife has made you a great gift: they are absolutely stunning! Kudos to her!!!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@droosky .....Hi and welcome. Yes wife did well and Tangie looks very healthy indeed. 2 things from the pic
1. Remove dead crickets if you can (I. E. without getting tagged by ythe OBT), not so much a problem when bone dry sub, but mites will still exist if the prey decomposes.
2. Love the TRex skull ☺

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Welcome.:)
Such a beautiful gift. Looks great.

For cricket carcass removal, and if you don't have one already, invest in a long pair of tongs.;)

Yes, dry with a water dish.
Once, in a "blue moon", you could overflow the water dish, a bit, though it is not absolutely essential.

droosky

3 Year Member
Thanks for the info folks. Have forcepts, need to get skinny tongs. We were nervous after reading, and I was witness to def posture and striking as a result of accidental water spraying of the "erupt out of den and attack with 10 appendages" variety. Impressive, but not eager to repeat. ;-)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm glad to hear all's well. I can go months without seeing my girl but it's worth the wait when they do appear.

Latest posts