• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Should I be worried?

Calico

3 Year Member
My desert blonde went into it's burrow about a month ago and hasn't been out since. I thought maybe it was going to molt and haven't bothered or worried. However, I can see him moving around through the little hole that he has for the opening so don't think this is the case. I make sure there is water in his bowl at all times, but haven't attempted feeding. Should I throw a cricket in to see if he comes out to eat? Or just let him be? I miss seeing the little guy!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How big is he? The larger they are the longer the moult process can take.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If I were you I'd try feeding, if he eats you know all's well, if he doesn't eat remove the food and try again in around a week.

Calico

3 Year Member
Thank you Enn! I just checked on him and it looks like the opening is larger so he may have ventured out last night. Even though there is webbing across the opening. I can see him just sitting there. I will try feeding today and see what he does.
I'd love to be able to check if there is a molt in there.... He burrowed under a big flat rock that was in there so it will be hard to move, especially with him in there. Maybe if he ventures out to feed I'll be able to check.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've found that they often enlarge their opening just before a moult. If he has moulted in there, the chances are he will eventually push it out.

Calico

3 Year Member
He ate!
From the flash of him that I saw (as he grabbed the cricket and drug it into the burrow) he looked a little darker and brighter. Maybe bigger....
So maybe he did molt after all. Hope he starts coming out soon.

Calico

3 Year Member
There is definitely a molt in there. I can see it through the hole. I was hoping I could find out what sex it is. I'm afraid it will be too dried out to tell if/when he does push it out. I could reach it with the long tongs, but I don't want to stress him out.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There is definitely a molt in there. I can see it through the hole. I was hoping I could find out what sex it is. I'm afraid it will be too dried out to tell if/when he does push it out. I could reach it with the long tongs, but I don't want to stress him out.
get a bowl of water, add a drop or 2 of dish soap, then drip that onto the molt to soften it back up.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Classic A. Calcodes behavior. Mine hide for another 2-3 weeks after they molt and after the fangs harden/blacken. Dunno why. I've just come to expect it.

Calico

3 Year Member
Classic A. Calcodes behavior. Mine hide for another 2-3 weeks after they molt and after the fangs harden/blacken. Dunno why. I've just come to expect it.

Good to know. I won't worry so much next time. He looks like he came through it ok with no problems.

Calico

3 Year Member
If he molted he wont eat. His fangs need to harden up so he will have no way of doing that with fresh fangs

He has eaten 2 already. He's been out and about since yesterday.

Attachments

• 20170721_080627.jpg
    20170721_080627.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6

Calico

3 Year Member
Oh ok. I just want to be sure the T is safe. I'm happy to hear its doing well

Thank you! This was my first molt so I was unsure of what to do or expect. It's nice to get info from people who have been through this. I didn't want to do anything that will harm him. I'm glad he is "out of the woods" and healthy.