• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Seems I Was Worried For Nothing

Tuskedwings

3 Year Member
after being fed super worms instead of crickets for a few weeks my porteri's abdomen is doing s lot better :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    984.6 KB · Views: 12

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
little bit of fat intake! thats why i feed roaches and crickets and superworms and mealworms....mix it up all the time. plus melaworms and superworms last a long time with zero care.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't use superworms as a staple feeder mainly because I have had a few here and there that will refuse to eat them. The thing that sucks about crickets is that they're more fragile and they tend to die faster, especially when overcrowded or underfed. Superworms and mealworms are a lot tougher and last longer, however if manage to escape and burrow out of sight, they present an even bigger threat to a molting or freshly molted tarantula, due to the fact that they're more difficult to locate without turning the whole terrarium upside down. The beetles of superworms emit a foul odor when annoyed, and most tarantulas won't touch them because of this. If I'm unable to get any crickets and I need to fatten one of mine up quick for any reason, then superworms are a great option, although waxworms and butterworms are probably even better for this. If you can get any silkworms online, those also work great for this. They can get big, but are usually available in quite a few sizes. You just have to make sure to buy silkworm chow or fresh mulberry leaves to keep them alive. They won't eat anything else. Another good option for some are hornworms, These can get up to 4 inches though, so I'd only give them to larger species. If you're unable to get roaches, or if your tarantula doesn't care for them, then crickets are the next best thing.

Latest posts