• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Question about keeping a Sonoran Desert millipede

Moray

3 Year Member
i've finally managed to convince my parents to let me get a millipede, but i was wondering if it's necessary for me to have rotting wood or leaves in the terrarium if i get a sonoran desert millipede?? correct me if i'm wrong but i feel like in the wild they wouldn't bother eating a lot of decaying plant material considering there isn't a whole lot of it in the sonoran desert. i live in Arizona so these guys are natives here, so if i do need wood or leaves i'm not sure how i'd get them because, as stated before, we don't have much of that here :'^) i read somewhere that said you can use aspen shavings (the kind used for pet bedding) but i don't know how accurate that is.

i was also wondering if it would be okay to use coco fiber as substrate?? i heard it doesn't have all the nutrients that millipedes need to get from their substrate so if that's the case then i would highly appreciate any recommendations for alternatives!!!

thank you very much :^)