• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pokies about to be banned?

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I'm not sure if this is likely to happen or not but I was watching Deadly Tarantula Girl on youtube showing her poecilotheria metallica which was stunning as usual but she said that CITES is attempting to put all species of poecilotheria on the illegal to own and purchase list.. I sure hope this don't happen seeing how the poecilotheria is hands down my favorite species :(

Redacted

3 Year Member
I'm not sure if this is likely to happen or not but I was watching Deadly Tarantula Girl on youtube showing her poecilotheria metallica which was stunning as usual but she said that CITES is attempting to put all species of poecilotheria on the illegal to own and purchase list.. I sure hope this don't happen seeing how the poecilotheria is hands down my favorite species :(
If so, all the more reason for strictly ethical locale-specific propogation of all T species.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
CITES mainly controls the taking of creatures from the wlld and the sale of them.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
yeah I thought the same thing.. that they ban wild caught exports but the way she worded it is concerning

I used to have 4 Jamaican Boas which were CITES Appendix II, they each came with a document recording their breeding in captivity. Had I bred them successfully I would have had to register babies with CITES to be able to sell them.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I used to have 4 Jamaican Boas which were CITES Appendix II, they each came with a document recording their breeding in captivity. Had I bred them successfully I would have had to register babies with CITES to be able to sell them.
the effort you have to go through to breed and sell a CITES protected species has to make the cost of a species sky rocket? even that would greatly impact the poecilotheria species :(

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
that article makes thing sound reasonable but it claims only brachypelma under the cites list but I thought they placed any species from chile on the list a couple years ago to include some scorpion species but most importantly the chilean rose hair? I do support the idea of captive breed only.. it does put a lot less strain on the species in the wild but it obviously raises the price. I prefer CB species myself.. it reduces your risk of diseases and mites.. I know its still possible but it's much lower then wild caught specimens. (edited to add that obviously CB only risks inbreeding but we should be cautious in the breeding of CB tarantulas and if the gene pool becomes jeopardized then temporarily pluck a few males and females for breeding only and set parents back out in the wild)

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've checked the CITES website and couldn't find any Grammostola species on there although the Brachypelmas are.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
I found a article from 2015 on both reddit and arachnoboards saying that it's a 5 year ban on any animal being exported from chile not just the rose hair.. also when I bought my rose hair it was $10 now they vary greatly in price.. some still sell at around $20 but others post $40.. accordingly it happened in 2015 and will expire in 2020? this doesn't confirm it or anything this just shows I wasnt alome in believing it lol it was apparently spread all over facebook which might be where I first heard it

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
About Pokies, USA are thinking about a law to protect them:
https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...ng-determinations-for-five-poecilotheria#p-37

It only concerns the USA, not the rest of the world (for now...).

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
that was a interesting article was added to my favorites.. after reading a bit it appears Sri Lanka has poecilotheria as a protected species but the laws are weak and almost never enforced.. so illegal collections + over deforestation + local people killing them out of fear = a real bad time for pokie enthusiasts :(

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
Any updates on this? Of course now my buddy has been telling me he wants a pair of pokies and I'm not sure if he should do it now or wait to see how this works out.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This will make some heads explode, but a loophole in the endangered species act and other similar laws means that protections don't apply to hybrids.

For example, tigers are considered endangered. The liger, a hybrid between lions and tigers is not.

The same rule would probably apply to tarantulas as well, but would raise hell and cause other problems. Hopefully none would escape into places like Florida.

With the hurricanes in Texas and Florida, I hope all spider owners secured their pets--all animals!!

Latest posts