• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Picking next tarantula

auganator

3 Year Member
I want to add a new tarantula to my collection, but i cant seem to decide on what i want. I currently have a L. parahybana, G. pulchra, A. versicolor, P. cambridgei, and a B. bohmei. I want something thats easy to get and somewhat cheap (<50$ for a sling). I am the type of person who overthinks everything and will spend the next 10 years trying to decide on what i want, so I basically need someone to tell me what to get.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
you can't have a T collection without an A. geniculata, or a GBB. You can find genic slings for $20 or so usually, but GBB are more like $35 for the 3/4 - 1 inch size.

One of my fav is the B. vagans. that bright scarlet abdomen when they get to be juvi/sub adult is just stunning.

auganator

3 Year Member
you can't have a T collection without an A. geniculata, or a GBB. You can find genic slings for $20 or so usually, but GBB are more like $35 for the 3/4 - 1 inch size.

One of my fav is the B. vagans. that bright scarlet abdomen when they get to be juvi/sub adult is just stunning.
I completely forgot about A. geniculata, i will have to heavily consider picking that as my winner (see my issue). I want a gbb but im not a huge fan of those webs they weave, they are impressive webs but i prefer to see the tarantula.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I completely forgot about A. geniculata, i will have to heavily consider picking that as my winner (see my issue). I want a gbb but im not a huge fan of those webs they weave, they are impressive webs but i prefer to see the tarantula.
Both of my GBB's are always visible, unless they're in a tunnel hiding behind a plant. then i just turn the enclosure around. Mine laid a web carpet, then webbed up the plants and put a ceiling over the carpet. Hardly any webbing on the walls of hte enclosure so almost always visible. I'll make a note to take some pics when i get home from work. Still haven't had a chance to test the camera on my new phone, so this will be a good try. :)

Lee. M

3 Year Member
If one of your criteria is that it's always visible, then A. geniculata has to be way up the list. My girl doesn't even retreat to her hide to molt - she lays a web mat wherever she happens to be, and does her undressing in full view (the little tart!).
As a sling/small juvi she'd dig and hide, but they behave in a similar way to an L.p once their size gives them more confidence.

Once you've got your A.genic, start thinking about pokies!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Bioteach

3 Year Member
A GBB or genic would be a great addition. A Nhandu, Aphonopelma, or a dwarf species wouldn't be bad either. If you want to stick with a genus you have, you can't go wrong with a Chaco or a curly hair. Both of those are relatively cheap, easy to find, and must haves IMO.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Depends on what you want. If you're looking for something more docile then a.seemanni, a.genic, n.chromatus or a good old gbb as said all are good additions. If your looking for a little more aggressive, phormictopus species are always fun. E.murinus are cool too. Can be a pethole but they're good eaters, fast growing, and a good T to have before jumping into old world species.

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my two penneth (cents) based on the stated wish list.....
A. GENIC (must have)
GBB (must have - as others said, webbing is low level and very rarely vertical to the extent it stops viewing) I like the heavy webbing and mine just sits on top of it. See my avatar
B boheimi (àlso a must have IMHO). very pretty but are prone to flicking so try not to disturb too much unless you want to be treated with a bald backside each day.
Pokies/Avics....very nice but if relatively new to the hobby I would swerve for now and then look to these for the next tranche when you are ready....you will want more I can guarantee it.....lol

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I don't know where you live, then I cannot speak about prices or availability. But I would second all the good which has been said about A geniculata. And Phormictopus spp. of course (I love them!). Anything else from the genera you already have could be great too. I personnally really like my Thrixopelma ockerti, but maybe they are more expensive/rarer?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My recommendation always will be E. Sp. Red. Small condiment cup w/ tiny holes, Eco earth, few drops of water, cricket drumsticks or prekilled small crickets is all that is needed to raise a small sling of this species. They tend to always move substrate around.

auganator

3 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies. I have decided im going to scoop up a A. genic asap, and keep an interest in getting a B. vagans or E. Sp. Red next. After those 2 I will probably move on to some old worlds. My dream tarantula is by far an H. maculata but i want to have a lot more experience before i acquire one.

auganator

3 Year Member
I was thinking of getting an OBT, and a P.regalis as my first 2 old worlds and getting an H. mac after im comfortable with both of those. I am hoping after a year or so of taking care of my new P. cambridgei i will be prepared enough to handle both those, obviously theres not as much risk with him but he still does a fantastic job of keeping me on my toes, hes a super skittish/defensive guy and ive never seen anything move so fast in my life.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My recommendation always will be E. Sp. Red. Small condiment cup w/ tiny holes, Eco earth, few drops of water, cricket drumsticks or prekilled small crickets is all that is needed to raise a small sling of this species. They tend to always move substrate around.
Only reason i wouldn't suggest these for a begginer is they grow super slow, so if you get a sling be prepared for it to stay tiny for years. Average growth rate is about 1/4" a year. And they're a dwarf, full sized about 3 or 3.5"

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was thinking of getting an OBT, and a P.regalis as my first 2 old worlds and getting an H. mac after im comfortable with both of those. I am hoping after a year or so of taking care of my new P. cambridgei i will be prepared enough to handle both those, obviously theres not as much risk with him but he still does a fantastic job of keeping me on my toes, hes a super skittish/defensive guy and ive never seen anything move so fast in my life.
If you are looking into OWs, I would definitely look into a P. Cancerides as preparation for the defensiveness. I haven't found slings for sale, but they are not for the faint of heart. I don't have an OW yet either, but I have a pretty good idea what to expect just by raising my savage.

auganator

3 Year Member
If you are looking into OWs, I would definitely look into a P. Cancerides as preparation for the defensiveness. I haven't found slings for sale, but they are not for the faint of heart. I don't have an OW yet either, but I have a pretty good idea what to expect just by raising my savage.
I have heard, they have pretty nasty temperaments, ill have to look at those too. this hobby is dangerous, im going to run out of room for tarantulas. Atleast its still not as expensive as fishing.

auganator

3 Year Member
Only reason i wouldn't suggest these for a begginer is they grow super slow, so if you get a sling be prepared for it to stay tiny for years. Average growth rate is about 1/4" a year. And they're a dwarf, full sized about 3 or 3.5"
I have the patience of a 3 year old with ADHD, so i guess that rules that out, how about the B. vagans, do they grow moderately fast?

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Thanks for all the replies. I have decided im going to scoop up a A. genic asap, and keep an interest in getting a B. vagans or E. Sp. Red next. After those 2 I will probably move on to some old worlds. My dream tarantula is by far an H. maculata but i want to have a lot more experience before i acquire one.
Any of those are a Good choice. As kormath stated if you're looking for a sling and want it to grow to a respectable size somewhat quick. E.sp red may not be the best choice. Don't get me wrong these are great Ts but you'll have a very small T on your hands for years. I have two 1/4" slings that I've had for about six months. Neither have yet to molt and have barely grown at all. At any rate enjoy picking your next T. Sure it won't be your last so you should have plenty of ideas for the future now.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have the patience of a 3 year old with ADHD, so i guess that rules that out, how about the B. vagans, do they grow moderately fast?
B. vagans grow fairly quickly. I got mine in November 2015 and she's now pushing the 5" mark, I keep all of mine mid to upper 70's year round. Hottest times in the summer they may get into the low 80s. Fed her twice a week till she was about 2" then once a week, abdomen sized prey usually but she sometimes will go for larger.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've had two gbbs, both webbed profusely but they come out more than they hide. They're great display spiders, and if you put a big rock in with them, you'll likely see them sitting on it often, like the king of the mountain. Most non hiding spiders do this. They love rocks for some reason..no idea why. I'm a bit late, but my suggestion is any of the South Americans. The A genic is a fine choice, or any of the Phormictopus. Congrats on the campbridgei! I'm a huge fan of my three P campbridgei sling/juvies. Fantastic spiders, and not as shy and reclusive as others in their genus. They grow and eat like the S.A. giants, and the adults' colors are beautiful.

auganator

3 Year Member
I've had two gbbs, both webbed profusely but they come out more than they hide. They're great display spiders, and if you put a big rock in with them, you'll likely see them sitting on it often, like the king of the mountain. Most non hiding spiders do this. They love rocks for some reason..no idea why. I'm a bit late, but my suggestion is any of the South Americans. The A genic is a fine choice, or any of the Phormictopus. Congrats on the campbridgei! I'm a huge fan of my three P campbridgei sling/juvies. Fantastic spiders, and not as shy and reclusive as others in their genus. They grow and eat like the S.A. giants, and the adults' colors are beautiful.
Yes, my cambridgei is usually right out in the open on the glass, sometimes i just stare at him for 5 minutes straight. i think im going to pick up an A. genic and a gbb.

Latest posts