• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P formosa sex

Marija

3 Year Member
It's about 3,5 inch big. Is it too soon to determine the sex? Hope the pic is good enough. Thanks :)

IMG_4259.JPG

Loafman

3 Year Member
I'm going to stick my neck out and say possibly male.. although it's difficult to tell from that angle.. if you can take a picture from the direction of the spinnerets (in the case of this picture, from above looking down a little) then it may be a bit easier to tell. ;)

Loafman

3 Year Member
The T has turned round, haha! What I meant was to get a picture from the abdomen end if possible.. ;)

Mind you, the more I look the more convinced I am that it is a male. I'm no expert though! So best wait for someone more experienced to have a look.. :)

Marija

3 Year Member
The T has turned round, haha! What I meant was to get a picture from the abdomen end if possible.. ;)

Mind you, the more I look the more convinced I am that it is a male. I'm no expert though! So best wait for someone more experienced to have a look.. :)
Lol, I'll try to take another one.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's 100% female. You can see her furrow....And males don't have that white lip under the exuvium like female poecilotheria do. Males also have a very distinct "small" triangle patch of epiandrous fusillae and it wouldn't appear as "sporadic" as the hair on the furrow is in these pictures. I'm positive it's female!!! :) Nice poecie to have, too! One of my faves!

Last edited:

Thistles

3 Year Member

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This pic isn't mine, it belongs to Advan at AB.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8107/29143173292_0cf230422e_c.jpg
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/ventral-sexing-poecilotheria.286427/#post-2519593
He says one is male and the other female. Never say 100% based on ventral!

I see the "lip" you see, Casey, but there are two other features that are a little more male (width and white). I'm not certain either way.

Hmmm....Interesting point. I've owned male & female of all poecilotheria from sling to adult....Juvies, too. None of my males ever looked like that. They always had the E.F. by that size and surely didn't appear to have the "slit". I retract my statement about it being female. Wait until it molts again and you'll know for sure.

Marija

3 Year Member
Thanks to all of you :)
I wasn't able to take a better ventral pic without disturbing the T a lot. I know I have to wait for the molt to be 100% sure.
This pokie was really hard to find in my area hehe, so what ever it is I feel lucky to own one. :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks to all of you :)
I wasn't able to take a better ventral pic without disturbing the T a lot. I know I have to wait for the molt to be 100% sure.
This pokie was really hard to find in my area hehe, so what ever it is I feel lucky to own one. :)

You're welcome. Thank you for sharing. It's absolutely beautiful. Always enjoy seeing a beautiful T. It was a pleasure trying to help you (even if I was/am wrong). Always nice to help. :)

Marija

3 Year Member
You're welcome. Thank you for sharing. It's absolutely beautiful. Always enjoy seeing a beautiful T. It was a pleasure trying to help you (even if I was/am wrong). Always nice to help. :)
I'm gonna hope for a female :)
Thank you, Skye has an awesome personality, not like my other Ts :)

Latest posts