• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newby in UK..

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That is such a good idea ! This is such a lovely group of T owners !
Being new, plus terribly inquisitive by nature, I have a lot of Qs.... I think I'm in the right place to finally learn actual facts,
many websites / care sheets appear to be copied and pasted ! :confused:

Many care sheets are way out of date. There are many experienced keepers on here that are happy to answer questions, I know I've learnt a lot since I joined and am still learning.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is such a good idea ! This is such a lovely group of T owners !
Being new, plus terribly inquisitive by nature, I have a lot of Qs.... I think I'm in the right place to finally learn actual facts,
many websites / care sheets appear to be copied and pasted ! :confused:
We live questions and helping so just ask away.....
TBH cars sheets are a waste of time generally. They try to replicate the county of origin but if you think about it, most Ts on the market are captive bred (and not even first generation) so have seen Mexico and Brazil etc the same amount of time I have....lol. best advice I can give is as follows:
- always have an open water dish (I boil and cook all water)
- Have cross ventilation on all your enclosures
- If you are comfortable at the temperature in your room, the T will be
- so not over saturate substrate (I use coco fibre btw)
- If food not consumed in 24 hrs remove it
- Do not feed for at least 4 days after a mould if slings/small. 7 days if adult or if fangs are black.
apart from that, you should be good to go. Theevare a few species Avicularia/Pokies that sometimes need a bit more humidity but I have kept Rd for over 20 years following those basic rules and never had any problems.

PurplePanther

3 Year Member
Yes it's always best to learn from actual real people... being able to ask other T owners a Q can offer different opinions which is also helpful.
I mustn't just blurt out all the Qs in my head....plus I don't want to post things in the wrong place and possibly get told off :D
Have already got an answer to a website Q without asking, I just typed in how do I create an album and was directed straight to a post that explained it simply

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes it's always best to learn from actual real people... being able to ask other T owners a Q can offer different opinions which is also helpful.
I mustn't just blurt out all the Qs in my head....plus I don't want to post things in the wrong place and possibly get told off :D
Have already got an answer to a website Q without asking, I just typed in how do I create an album and was directed straight to a post that explained it simply
Don't worry....unlike some forums there is very little (if any) telling off here :) The moderators are not that bad all things considered are they @Enn49 and @LC72uk.....ha ha

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can be naughty! lol I do try though :D
This is a great community who like a laugh and are ALWAYS helpful regardless the question... Kinda feels like a little family here... Hehe! Head and shoulders above that other forum for sure!
yep, you are deffo the naughty little brother of the group buddy. We still like you tho :)

PurplePanther

3 Year Member
Don't worry....unlike some forums there is very little (if any) telling off here :) The moderators are not that bad all things considered are they @Enn49 and @LC72uk.....ha ha

.....that's good to hear. In the past I have been in forums where I see messages from staff to individuals about how they posted their Q in the wrong place, then drumming it into people to read a whole page of rules and regulations before you post anything :oops:
So I've always had this impression that forums are a -lace whereof mustn't put a foot wrong or you'll be publicly reprimanded.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
.....that's good to hear. In the past I have been in forums where I see messages from staff to individuals about how they posted their Q in the wrong place, then drumming it into people to read a whole page of rules and regulations before you post anything :oops:
So I've always had this impression that forums are a -lace whereof mustn't put a foot wrong or you'll be publicly reprimanded.
One thing you will notice, there is no Spam on this Forum.:)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

No public reprimands here, all bad behaviour is dealt with by PM

PurplePanther

3 Year Member
No public reprimands here, all bad behaviour is dealt with by PM

I think that is how it should be done.....
but what I have seen in the past is staff who love the fact they have power, it goes to their heads sometimes,
they know they can literally rip shreds from someone and get away with it.
That completely put me off getting involved with forums. Hence I've had my Ts for 6 months, and even though
I've wanted interaction with other T owners I just plodded along on my own with Google close by, but giving me
conflicting information :mad:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think that is how it should be done.....
but what I have seen in the past is staff who love the fact they have power, it goes to their heads sometimes,
they know they can literally rip shreds from someone and get away with it.
That completely put me off getting involved with forums. Hence I've had my Ts for 6 months, and even though
I've wanted interaction with other T owners I just plodded along on my own with Google close by, but giving me
conflicting information :mad:

Nothing like that here. We all were newbies at one time and can remember that panic when you think there is something wrong with your T. I've had slatings on other forums in the past which is why I joined TF and I've never regretted it.

PurplePanther

3 Year Member
If you do it can soon be moved to the right place so no worries.

If it happens, please let me know.
I need to know if I make a mistake, I can be a tad dense sometimes...
Due to long term health problems I have to take 32 pills per day, some being 160mg of a pain killer - morphine which can
make me a little ;) some days :D

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nothing like that here. We all were newbies at one time and can remember that panic when you think there is something wrong with your T. I've had slatings on other forums in the past which is why I joined TF and I've never regretted it.
neither have I....love it on here.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If it happens, please let me know.
I need to know if I make a mistake, I can be a tad dense sometimes...
Due to long term health problems I have to take 32 pills per day, some being 160mg of a pain killer - morphine which can
make me a little ;) some days :D

Will do :)

PurplePanther

3 Year Member

Aw... I'm really looking forward to being a part of this lovely group of T owners.
You've all made me feel so welcome and so comfortable :):D:p
There aren't very many smilies... I did try using my emoji keyboard and they didn't show up:rolleyes: