• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member from the UK

Marc

3 Year Member
Hi all... After 4years of tarantula ownership I thought I'd join a forum for some advice....
Currently I own (excuse the common names!) a mature male salmon pink, an unknown age OBT and a juvenile green bottle blue. They all seem to be doing just fine on the diet I feed them and seem comfortable in the enclosures I made however a strange mark has appeared on the back of Lotti (the salmon pink)
Would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on if it's anything to worry about... thanks in advance!

Attachments

• DSC_0216.JPG
    DSC_0216.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 18

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi welcome to the Group Marc..................LC72UK:):T:
Are you referring to the pink bald patch?.

Marc

3 Year Member
Yup! It appeared a few months back and I just put it down to the fact he likes flicking hairs at me..... Alot! Considering salmon pinks are supposed to have a relatively docile temperament he gets rowdy very quickly! It just seems to have got bigger over time even tho the last few times I've opened his box up he just runs around abit... No flicking... I've grown very attached to him and was just worried he was suffering in some way.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yup! It appeared a few months back and I just put it down to the fact he likes flicking hairs at me..... Alot! Considering salmon pinks are supposed to have a relatively docile temperament he gets rowdy very quickly! It just seems to have got bigger over time even tho the last few times I've opened his box up he just runs around abit... No flicking... I've grown very attached to him and was just worried he was suffering in some way.
That`s the reason He is Bald, it`s down to the Hair flicking, both mine are the same, nothing to worry about !!:):T:

Marc

3 Year Member
Hurrah! That's a weight off my mind... I know males have a shorter lifespan than the females and was worried the old man was commin to his time. I feel sorry for him... He keeps laying out a mat off webbing presumably to load himself up so to spk so he can mate and unfortunately that's never gonna happen.
Thanks for the replys..

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hurrah! That's a weight off my mind... I know males have a shorter lifespan than the females and was worried the old man was commin to his time. I feel sorry for him... He keeps laying out a mat off webbing presumably to load himself up so to spk so he can mate and unfortunately that's never gonna happen.
Thanks for the replys..
No probs !:):T:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, welcome to the forum from another brit. :)
I agree with the above. My male matured last July and his butt is very bald now.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Nothing to worry about, as the others have said. But if your male is mature, he's gonna die in some times soon anyway.

It happens that some tarantulas use their hairs (= setae) to secure an area (when molting, or when preparing to load their emboli): it prevents the enemies to come around when the spider is vulnerable. And some restless tarantulas lose a lot of hairs too...

Latest posts