• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New enclosure for Nhandu chromatus?

MantisRCool

3 Year Member
Hello :) I am a newbie and I have bought this tarantula a couple days ago. The guy who sold her told me she could stay in this but I don't think she likes it very much, since there is no hiding place in it. At the moment I put a paper tissue over it so that she's not stressed (if i lift it she goes like in the back making herself smaller so I figure she wants to hide somewhere, correct me if im wrong).
I was thinking making her an enclosure with some bark in it to hide under, maybe some fake leaves so she feels safer. Is that an ok idea? And how big it should be, I know they don't like big open spaces and the top shouldn't be too high so she won't fall.
In the photo there is her in her current encl., then comparison of the size with the other one I thought I could clean and set up for her, and on the bottom is a praying mantis enclosure lol.
Would that be good for her (the middle one I mean)?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    993.6 KB · Views: 131

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You'll want the width of the enclosure at least twice the leg span of the T, to give it room to grow so you don't have to rehouse it and stress it out as often. A hide is a must for all T's, let them use their flight instinct instead of the fight instinct ;)

I'd go with dry substrate for that size, and just a water dish for humidity and you'll be set. They like to burrow a bit, at that size mostly for premolt from my experience, so a couple inches of substrate would be good.

MantisRCool

3 Year Member
Hey so I hope this is okay for the moment cause she reeeeally didnt wanna be moved lol. Now she is already under the bark.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    870.4 KB · Views: 38

NukaMedia Exotics

3 Year Member
I'd personally put it in a container bigger than all those little plastic bins as that spider isn't too small... A medium size kritter keeper would be perfect they're like $12, or get a similar sized plastic bin from Target/Walmart and drill some vent holes in it. Add 4 in. of substrate, a good hide, and a water dish you'll be set.

Latest posts