• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need advice

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
A co worker brought me a little gift this morning. To my surprise he caught a little scorpion. I am not sure what to do with the little guy. Didn't want to turn it loose so thought I would give raising it a go. Any advice on taking care of it would be greatly appreciated.
image.jpeg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I couldn't even tell you what kind that is ;) you need our resident expert @Telson

I do think i'm a gonna break down and get me one ;) my son can get over his fear of them like i did with the T's lol

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
I don't know for sure but I think the common name is striped bark scorpion. I've never thought about keeping scorpions but I have been looking at different ones today so I might end up with a few.;):)

Telson

3 Year Member
That looks like a darker version of our local scorps, Centruroides vittatus. They range in color, depends where you find them. Care is similar to a rosea, dry sub, low sided water dish with rocks in it. You can feed it any appropriately sized prey. Red runners, crickets, etc. Bark scorps need upright pieces of cork/wood to molt properly and be comfortable. The babies will drown in a waterdish, unlike spiders, but I've yet to see an adult do it. And that is an adult:) Hope this helps.

Gscottjr

3 Year Member
@Telson Thanks for the info. I Used a water bottle cap for water. I assume he is drinking because it has substrate in the cap every morning. I have fed him pinhead crickets but he has only eaten one in a week. How often do they feed?
He mostly stays on the underside of the little bark hide upside down.

Latest posts