• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Roaches!

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Here is a picture thread for all my roaches! :) I hope you guys enjoy!

Blaberus atropos, (these guys have quite variable pronotum patterns):
B.atropos%25233.JPG

B.atropos%25232.JPG

B.atropos%25235.JPG

B.atropos%25236.JPG

B.atropos%25237.JPG

Byrsotria sp. "Cuba":
Female
B.cuba%25237.JPG

B.cuba%25238.JPG

Male
B.cuba%25234.JPG

B.cuba%25236.JPG

Chorisoneura texensis:
C.texensis%25237.JPG

C.texensis%25238.JPG

Ergaula capucina:
Female
E.cap%25238.JPG

E.cap%25239.JPG

Male
E.cap%252311.JPG

Somewhat freshly molted male
E.cap%252316.JPG

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Gromphadorhina sp. "Hybrid":
Hisser%25235.JPG

Hisser%25236.JPG

Hemiblabera tenebricosa:
Female
H.tene%252311.JPG

H.tene%252313.JPG

Male
H.tene%252314.JPG

H.tene%252315.JPG

Parcoblatta americana " Table-top Mountain ":
Female
Parcoblatta%252323.JPG

Parcoblatta%252324.JPG

Male
Parcoblatta%252319.JPG

Parcoblatta%252320.JPG

Parcoblatta%252322.JPG

Parcoblatta divisa:
Female
P.divisa%25239.JPG

P.divisa%252310.JPG

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
awesome! @Hisserdude ...looking to sell any of your Gromphadorhina sp. ?

Well my colony has yet to reproduce, they are all females that were supposed to be pregnant, but I am beginning to doubt that... in any case I just got four new nymphs and hopefully some of those will be males so I can get the colony going. Sorry!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Great pics, excellent collection. You have some interesting species, the Rhabdoblatta formosana is fascinating, and I've been eyeballing Therea sp. for a month now:) Any comments on those two? I've read enough to know some species don't want to cooperate and reproduce, I hope those aren't like that..

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Great pics, excellent collection. You have some interesting species, the Rhabdoblatta formosana is fascinating, and I've been eyeballing Therea sp. for a month now:) Any comments on those two? I've read enough to know some species don't want to cooperate and reproduce, I hope those aren't like that..

Thank you, it only took a year to amass! :) Well the Rhabdoblatta could probably be used as feeders, these guys are very prolific. They like it moist with a fair amount of space and ventilation, and are a pretty easy species to care for.

The Therea are really easy too, though you must include dead leaves in their diet, that goes for all Corydiids. They like their substrate to be dry on the top, but moist at the bottom. I got a ton of babies in my T.olegrandjeani cage, none of my other Therea species have started to reproduce yet. The females lay a lot of ootheca, which take several months to hatch. And then of course you have to wait two years or more for the nymphs to mature. :D

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well my colony has yet to reproduce, they are all females that were supposed to be pregnant, but I am beginning to doubt that... in any case I just got four new nymphs and hopefully some of those will be males so I can get the colony going. Sorry!
No problem at all man. Just keep me in mind when you have some babies, of any species, u want to unload. :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Fantastic, man the Pseudomops septentrionalis is exceptional..it was one of my next purchases, before I ran out of room..really unique looking roaches. I'm still drawn to the heavily armored looking ones like Hissers though :) Also, the thought of having your own colony of arachnids cleaning your armor is pure gravy. I'm going to try to get one to hold still under my microscope, so I can check out the cleaners..not sure if my microscope is up to the task though.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Fantastic, man the Pseudomops septentrionalis is exceptional..it was one of my next purchases, before I ran out of room..really unique looking roaches. I'm still drawn to the heavily armored looking ones like Hissers though :) Also, the thought of having your own colony of arachnids cleaning your armor is pure gravy. I'm going to try to get one to hold still under my microscope, so I can check out the cleaners..not sure if my microscope is up to the task though.

Yeah, they are really pretty, and are quite challenging to breed. The nymphs grow slowly, and at such staggered rates that it can be hard to get a male and a female to mature within each other's lifespan. It doesn't help that the adults have a pretty short lifespan either.

Yeah, those mites are cool, one of the few mites I actually like. :) They are quite large, so a microscope is not needed to see them. However you could certainly see more detail on them that way.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Any idea of the species crossed with the hissers? Interesting to watch them develop I bet :)

Unfortunately no, I just know that most "portentosa" strains are hybrids nowadays, and that these don't look exactly like the pure ones, so I'm listing them as hybrids. It sure is fun watching them grow up, can't wait until some males mature, love the horns on those guys! :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got mine from a local pet store...I'm going to try to find out how to tell the difference. They're easy to handle and I have a decent microscope, hopefully I can learn how to tell..

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Well the genitalia are the same in all Grophadorhina species, so it's pretty hard to tell that way. The only person I know who sells pure G.portentosa is Kylw from roachcrossing, he says that "Unlike hybrid strains, adults of this variety tend to be solidly patterned with barely any striping and crisp, orange to red-orange abdomens".