• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Jerusalem Crickets, Stenopelmatus sp.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
I have 8 juvenile Jerusalem crickets that have been doing good for several months now, these guys are easy to care for if you know what to feed them. These guys are vicious carnivores that need meat in their diet, I have been feeding them dog food, mealworms and roaches. They barely touch any sort of vegetable I give them. The nymphs can take over two years to mature, and adults only live for a matter of months. My plan is to breed these guys once they mature, which is not an easy thing to do.

Here are some pictures of my cuties!

Swirl:
JCSwirl%25231.JPG

Sam:
JCSam%25231.JPG

Hopper:
JCHopper%25231.JPG

Mangle:
JCMangle%25231.JPG

Tiny:
JCTiny%25231.JPG

Ripper:
JC%252313.JPG

Gap:
JCGap%25231.JPG

Jiminy:
JCJimminy%25231.JPG

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Awesome, I love these. They are so misunderstood, and have so many myths.

I feel the same way. Poor guys are loathed by the public, some people say the are venomous, like come on! Truth is they are very cool insects, and can make for extremely interesting pets! :)

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
These guys are AMAZING. I have only had one but was long lived and hardy. Never out much. I fed vegetables and freeze dried crickets. Simlar experience with the veggies but he munched the crickets in no time. Can you share more on the enclosure? I would like to add some of these to the collection soon.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
They are definitiely the prettiest crickets I've seen at least haha.

But..how do you tell your 8 apart haha.

Yeah, most people think they are ugly as heck, but I think they are very cool looking! :)

On each of their cages I have labels that have their names on it, otherwise it would be quite hard to tell some of them apart! :p

These guys are AMAZING. I have only had one but was long lived and hardy. Never out much. I fed vegetables and freeze dried crickets. Simlar experience with the veggies but he munched the crickets in no time. Can you share more on the enclosure? I would like to add some of these to the collection soon.

Yes they are, and if kept properly they can be very hardy.

The enclosures are very simple, they are in small to medium sized containers filled with moist coconut fiber. Not much ventilation in the cages.

If you get the chance you should totally get some, I got mine off a fellow in CA, his name was DETHCHEEZ over on AB. He priced them really cheap compared to other vendors. ;)

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
yeah man keep us in the loop. Id like to know how u r progressing with these guys....oh yeah and pics! lol these critters are awesome looking. :)

You got it! :D In fact, I do have some more pictures I forgot to upload here, took these a few days ago.

Ripper:
Rip%25232.JPG

Rip%25233.JPG

Rip%25234.JPG

Swirl:
Swirl%25231.JPG

Swirl%25232.JPG

Swirl%25234.JPG

Swirl%25236.JPG

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hope you do! if it works out well I'd get one or two of those just because they are the only ones I think are even remotely cool ^^

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had never heard of them before you posted this, but I dug one up as a kid and didn't know what it was til I saw your thread. It was in Jones Valley, CA..Why do they have a bad rep? They look cool, that face is awesome..

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
I had never heard of them before you posted this, but I dug one up as a kid and didn't know what it was til I saw your thread. It was in Jones Valley, CA..Why do they have a bad rep? They look cool, that face is awesome..

Yeah, they are pretty abundant in California. Most "ordinary" people find them absolutely repulsive, and so many rumors have been started about them. They look so cute, and their faces are my favorite part about them! :D

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Well, I was just bit by one of my males, and I can definitely say that getting bit by these is no laughing matter! That sucker bit the tip of my finger and refused to let go, constantly loosening up and then chomping down even harder. Spraying it with water did not phase it, touching the back of its head did though. It did not draw much blood, but the muscle power in the jaws alone turned the bitten area purple. Never want to get bitten by one of these again! :eek:

Latest posts