• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My G rosea: Rose

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
I introduced myself last night, and would like to introduce my Rose today. The name isn't super original, but I like it :) According to what I was told, she is about a year and a half old. A friend of ours who often shares a table with us at a reptile show gifted her to me. My boyfriend wanted a tarantula, but I was very unsure. Now, a few months later, I've pretty much taken over her care and maintenance and have fallen in love with the little darling. Many describe their roseas as pet rocks, but she's quite active I think. Not active in an uncomfortable way, but always checking things out and looking around for her next meal. She gets an appropriately sized cricket once a week.

This was Rose the day we got her. Just a tiny little thing.
ea4776e94d460ce97b8d6a00af4ab8a4.jpg

This was Rose a little after her first molt with us. My boyfriend handles her if she needs to come out for any reason. She's never been defensive and usually perches calmly on his hand, or slowly walks around when she's out.
d95b0c9015c7f679dcf1a59bbf1e266f.jpg

I think I caught her drinking! She lives in a mini critter keeper. The cup she came in was turned into a hide area, which she seems to enjoy, and I keep a bottle cap with water for her.
570476209b3e024bffce493552207185.jpg

She's grown a good bit in the few months that we've had her.
7d2c7bedd4ff6f58be413954ae455cf0.jpg

The next time she molts, I'll try to get a good picture of it. After staring long and hard at her last molt, I'm thinking she might be female, but I wouldn't trust my judgement. Professionals can have a difficult time determining the sex, and I am a far cry from a professional.

Thanks for looking!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
cute little rosea :) looks about as big as mine now. I think we both got lucky not to have a pet rock, she's (i just hope it's a she) always moving the rocks in the water dish around. And she enjoys digging out one corner of her enclosure and using that to bury the water dish after she's removed a couple of the stones. It's a game now, i clean the dish pack the substrate back in that corner and the next day or 2 days later when it's time to water we do it again ;)

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
That's too funny! My little rosea hasn't buried her water bowl, but she does flip it sometimes when it's empty, almost like she's throwing a fit. Your girl (hopefully a girl) sounds like quite the character :)

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
Rose is gearing up for a molt! It'll be her second one with us. I entered the reptile room to feed my juvie bearded dragon his breakfast, and when I peeked over at the Ts, I saw Rose webbing and hair flicking. If she puts on as much size as she did with her last molt, she'll be getting a bigger enclosure :) my little baby is growing up!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
Come morning I should have a freshly molted Rose. She's webbed and flipped herself over. Entrance into the reptile room is barred for the rest of the night.

62dc2c4878f17656a5efdca1119eb037.jpg

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
Freshly molted and so big! I can't believe how much she's grown! After waiting 5 days, I fed her a mealworm, which she very quickly jumped on. Now she's busy drooling venom in her enclosure. It's the first time I've seen her do this, or maybe it's just the first time she was big enough for me to take notice haha.

And photos of course!
0dd4a198e6d0819da5a61befae11b882.jpg

8a71afd648f9ce2ea3dfa2761d6b476c.jpg

35fcaa4740ef9a8733ffab31f55d5f88.jpg

d08752d18372abfb4974eff8a371f018.jpg

Redacted

3 Year Member
Freshly molted and so big! I can't believe how much she's grown! After waiting 5 days, I fed her a mealworm, which she very quickly jumped on. Now she's busy drooling venom in her enclosure. It's the first time I've seen her do this, or maybe it's just the first time she was big enough for me to take notice haha.

And photos of course!
0dd4a198e6d0819da5a61befae11b882.jpg

8a71afd648f9ce2ea3dfa2761d6b476c.jpg

35fcaa4740ef9a8733ffab31f55d5f88.jpg

d08752d18372abfb4974eff8a371f018.jpg

A happy rosie.

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
She's a good little tarantula. She has started letting me know when her water cap is empty. She drags it to the right side of the enclosure when it empties out, and I fill it and place it on the left. Smart little gal.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dont let her fool you. She's probably dumping it and trying to hide it, your just to vigilant a mom to let her get by with it :)

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
Sometimes I wonder about her haha, the bigger she gets, the more personality she seems to have. She cracks me up.

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
They're terribly under-rated.
I agree! I was very uneasy when we first brought her home. She was to be my boyfriend's and he was to care for her. Now she's my baby, I take care of maintenance and feeding, and have oodles of photos of her silly self. I can't wait for my smaller slings to grow up and start showing their quirky little personalities :)

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
Rose was chilling on the wall to her enclosure, and I took the opportunity to get some decent shots of her (hopefully her). Anyone think they can take a guess at my darling's gender? She's about 2 to 2.5 inches DLS, I'm hoping she's put on enough size for visual sexing. *crossing fingers*

f2b35f2aebb1d56294e39b52311391d5.jpg

f96ff4bf0cd0ebfe88d26e309411e6fa.jpg

Redacted

3 Year Member
Rose was chilling on the wall to her enclosure, and I took the opportunity to get some decent shots of her (hopefully her). Anyone think they can take a guess at my darling's gender? She's about 2 to 2.5 inches DLS, I'm hoping she's put on enough size for visual sexing. *crossing fingers*

f2b35f2aebb1d56294e39b52311391d5.jpg

f96ff4bf0cd0ebfe88d26e309411e6fa.jpg

A female! Your pal for a potentially long time.

Latest posts