• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

ken the bug guy

lazorkat

3 Year Member
so i have recently ordered a T from ken the bug guy .. and i was a lil disappointed. The T i ordered was listed as a 3inch female and when it arrived it was in what i consider a medicine bottle size clear container i opened and unwrapped her .. to my surprise the T was at least 6inch and i felt that the container was far to small for such a large T .. not to mention that i wasn't ordering a mature T i ordered a 3inch juvie .. i sent an e mail to him and havent gotten a response back

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
He probably sent you a bigger specimen as most would consider that an upgrade.
The small container was probably so that the T would not get hurt during shipping...
I don't know for sure, these are just guesses. Have you heard from him yet?

lazorkat

3 Year Member
yes i did hear from him .. i understand the small container thing just made me sad that she was so packed in that small of a space .. he told me that when he had gotten the specimen that she was 4 inches and had just recently molted .. dont get me wrong i love my girl she is beautiful .. but if you say a T is 3 inches then i expect it to be at least around that size not twice as large. I wanted a juvie because i enjoy raising them watching them grow and getting the maximum life span from them .. i have no idea how old the T is that was sent to me and the enclosure i had prepared for her arrival was far to small for how big she was. lastly he said that when he got her she was 4 inch then why would you list her as smaller to begin with ....

Over all my experience with ken the bug guy was a good one his prices are reasonable and service was good the T arrived in good condition and health and packed well . when i did have questions for him , he did take the time to respond to me and answer them .. i would recommend him to buy from, he has a large selection ..... I am definitely ordering from him again, and already have

latrodectus

3 Year Member
I had a pretty good experience with Ken the Bug Guy myself. I ordered a Brachypelma smithi sling from him and it came next day in great condition. I like what he does. Id definitely order from him again.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just completed another transaction with Ken. Everything arrived as expected. Order was a combination of T and True Spiders. Great packing job and well labeled. I have had several transactions now with Ken and he is definitely one of my top suppliers and would recommend him to anyone.

KenTheBugGuy

3 Year Member
I had a HORRIBLE experience with Ken the Bug Guy. And there is zero excuse. Who wraps a Black Widow in a paper towel to ship in dirty bug covered newspaper with dirt all over everything. and the prices are insulting. Thats my review.

I hope you are joking Alyeska I have a shop with 10,000 bugs of course the newpaper we pack with gets a little dirty, we have more dust than you can imagine ;) The paper towel is to give it something to hang onto in shipping not sure what else you would want to put in there that is padded and gives the animal something to hang onto in shipping. Who doesn't use toilet paper or paper towel to ship these guys?

Quandry

3 Year Member
Ken has worked with our entomology grad student association for our outreach inverts. We've always had good shipments, and he's very helpful. They arrive alive and healthy.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just picked up a rare Atropothele socatrana trap door spider from Ken the Bug Guy today. Spider arrived on time and was well packed and healthy when it got home. Great transaction. Thanks.

lazorkat

3 Year Member
Another great transaction with ken . i had accidently ordered two of the same Ts when i was only trying to order one of that kind and one of another , I e mailed him and asked him to send the T that i was after and he took care of it from there sent me both Ts I wanted and arrived in great condition.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have had two excellent transactions with Ken since the first post. Best web site out there too!

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just picked up two fishing spiders and a windscorpion from Ken. A+++ transaction again. :)

Cmccracken

3 Year Member
ive had it with ken, the first time I ordered from him he refused to ship for about a month because it was to cold, which I appreciated. but then it started warming up, other people were shipping and he still declined. His shipping methods are the absolute worst and are unacceptable and unfair to the animals. he provides zero humidity, vials are thrown in the box loosely and roll around and bang off each other. The final straw came earlier this month when I ordered an ephebopus rufescens from him and it arrived DOA. He replaced it and covered the shipping, but the other rufescens arrived DOA also. Zero humidity vial with a heat pack right on top of it, he cooked the spider. Until ken learns how to ship and package I strongly recommend not ordering from him, and its tempting because his selection is pretty good. But no one wants dead spiders over and over

KenTheBugGuy

3 Year Member
Cmccraken can you please provide pictures of packing as we spent a ton of time refining the packing so that it is beyond standards now. We put drops of water in every vial also so that is just plain wrong. As to the tarantula I explained to you already that those slings might just be too weak to handle the shipping and I removed them from my site, refunded you and was waiting for them to molt before I try shipping them again. Seriously why did you not post all that.

Cmccracken

3 Year Member
Sorry ken, I'm not trying to start a war, just stating the facts. And you want me to provide pics?? ok of what? improper placed heat pack, loose rolling around unsecure sling vials, or the actual "humidified" vial itself?. And I would have easily posted the other stuff if you actually took the time to respond to my email and tell me. I'm not mad, but your the only one I have to cross my fingers for when opening a box. And I've ordered from them all...Michael, Paul, Richard, Anastasia, Kelly, joey, Jamie, etc. Your selection is fantastic and you do a great job finding and providing the rarities and oddities, but its like I'm scared to order from you again. And what does molting have to do with it. Obviously someone successfully shipped them to you, and I've received smaller from you than 3/4"??? I don't know maybe its out of your hands, good luck with everything and the remaining rufescens.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just completed my latest transaction with Ken. Picked up:

1.) Holothele incei gold - 2" Female
2.) Solifugid
3.) Hogna lenta - Field Wolf Spider
4.) Thelechoris striatipes - Tanzanian Funnel Web

Shipment was well packed and well marked. Thanks Ken.

William Earle

3 Year Member
ive had it with ken, the first time I ordered from him he refused to ship for about a month because it was to cold, which I appreciated. but then it started warming up, other people were shipping and he still declined. His shipping methods are the absolute worst and are unacceptable and unfair to the animals. he provides zero humidity, vials are thrown in the box loosely and roll around and bang off each other. The final straw came earlier this month when I ordered an ephebopus rufescens from him and it arrived DOA. He replaced it and covered the shipping, but the other rufescens arrived DOA also. Zero humidity vial with a heat pack right on top of it, he cooked the spider. Until ken learns how to ship and package I strongly recommend not ordering from him, and its tempting because his selection is pretty good. But no one wants dead spiders over and over

I just ordered my first-ever Arizona blonde tarantula from Ken the Bug Guy. The spider arrived DEAD. I paid for live guaranteed shipping. What can I do? There is no phone number I can call and I've sent at least 4 emails. Thank you.

William Earle

3 Year Member
Ken, I ordered an Arizona blonde tarantula (female) from you on December 26th, 2015. My spider arrived DEAD on 1/5/16. I paid for live guaranteed shipping. I've sent at least 4 emails. I also took photos. What can I do? Thank you.

swimbait

3 Year Member
Ken, I ordered an Arizona blonde tarantula (female) from you on December 26th, 2015. My spider arrived DEAD on 1/5/16. I paid for live guaranteed shipping. I've sent at least 4 emails. I also took photos. What can I do? Thank you.

Did you ever hear back? Seems ken is pretty good about getting people refunds

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
All but 3 of my T's were ordered through Ken and I received exceptional service from him every time. Packaging is always solid, heat pack had always been opposite of the Ts.

He's my number one choice for vendors and the one I refer to anyone who asks.