• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Jumping spider ID and help with eggs

Allycat

3 Year Member
I have a P. Audax that I captured about a month ago. Recently while keeping her in her feeding jar she made an eggsac in her retreat. Can anyone tell me how long it will take for them to hatch? Or how to tell if they're unfertilized. She's been standing guard over them and only comes out of her retreat for a minute or two at a time. I purchased a culture of flightless fruit flies from petsmart (wasn't a good idea) in case I do have spiderlings, only to realize it's infested with mites. Can anyone tell me how to successfully start a new culture and minimize the chance of mites? I really don't want to have to throw out the culture I just bought and I also found a very small P. Audax that recently hatched (same place I found my first, she may have had another eggsac that hatched) so I want to breed these flies so I can have a steady food source for it. Any general details on eggsacs and spiderlings is appreciated! P.S.-don't mind the spider ID, was going to ask for one of another I caught but I decided to make a new thread
IMG_4133.JPG
IMG_4139.JPG

Allycat

3 Year Member
Have a look at my thread of my P. regius sacs http://www.tarantulaforum.com/threads/phidippus-regius-egg-sac-now-x-3.16502/.
Her eggs took 14-16 days to hatch then 21-25 days to emerge from the cocoon.
Thank you, it's nice to know the approximate date because right now the little mama is in a 2 gallon fish tank and even though there isn't any areas that are big enough for a spiderling to escape I don't want to take any chances, so they're going in a jar when they're about to come out. Thankfully her nest can be moved if need be, which I will when they're ready to hatch

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you, it's nice to know the approximate date because right now the little mama is in a 2 gallon fish tank and even though there isn't any areas that are big enough for a spiderling to escape I don't want to take any chances, so they're going in a jar when they're about to come out. Thankfully her nest can be moved if need be, which I will when they're ready to hatch

Unfortunately mine stuck her sacs to the side of container and then made a cocoon round it, she stayed inside the cocoon with the sac. I had some very fine mesh that I taped over the air vents.

Latest posts