• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is this a normal growth rate for an a. Versicolor?

Cmo137

3 Year Member
i got the sling when it was the size of my finger nail exactly one year ago and now it's only a little bigger than a quarter. I know tarantulas are slow growing but I thought this species gets full grown in 2 years and it doesn't seem half grown.

Attachments

• IMG_0741.PNG
    IMG_0741.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 167
  • IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    655 KB · Views: 167

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
totally depends on the feeding and elements around it. How warm do you keep it, how often is it fed, what is it fed? I'd also suggest putting in some cross ventilation holes in that enclosure from Jamies if you haven't already. Avic's need a lot of ventilation to thrive.

Cmo137

3 Year Member
totally depends on the feeding and elements around it. How warm do you keep it, how often is it fed, what is it fed? I'd also suggest putting in some cross ventilation holes in that enclosure from Jamies if you haven't already. Avic's need a lot of ventilation to thrive.

Around 70*f and a cricket about every other week, but when it's abdomen swells like in the second picture it stops eating until it molts. I'm putting it in its juvie enclosure after it molts next and I will make sure to ventilate that one.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Around 70*f and a cricket about every other week, but when it's abdomen swells like in the second picture it stops eating until it molts. I'm putting it in its juvie enclosure after it molts next and I will make sure to ventilate that one.
I feed mine every week, but keep it in the upper 70s. The warmer the more active and better feeding they'll have.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Avics can be weirdos. I've had juveniles fast before who were nowhere near premolt. Two years is a bit fast for a versi to mature, unless it's male..I would describe them as medium growth rate, and I feed about like you do.

Latest posts